Author Topic: Fokker Fuselage stitching in 1/72  (Read 672 times)

Offline Rick_H

Fokker Fuselage stitching in 1/72
« on: November 23, 2023, 09:30:03 AM »
Since I have only recently returned to this modeling subject, most my goodies/accessory equipment dates back 30 years or more.

For the fabric stitching on the bottom of Fokkers, I have the Tom's Modelworks PE set.  Is there anything newer or better?

Thanks,
Rick in Seattle

Offline DaddyO

Re: Fokker Fuselage stitching in 1/72
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2023, 06:15:58 PM »
Hi Rick

Never seen the Tom Modelworks PE set, although I've got various PE sets from PART etc and they all seemed a bit overscale to my eyes for 1/72. I used a pencil and a couple of lines of masking tape to produce the first couple of Fokker models I built which was better IMO (Ruler for the first line then put masking tape slightly away on both sides of the 'seam' so that when you draw all the diagonal stitches they end up the same length when the masking is removed - easy and pretty quick to do) r
Recently I've used some Archer decals (small double row of rivets) Since these seem difficult to get some of the others would work such as narrowest weld beads (They make a set of stitching details, but I wanted something smaller)  ;)

Here's how they look on the latest Fokker Dr1. Only difficulty is the decals tend to break up into pieces so you need to jigsaw a length together for a long run.

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline WD

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2023, 11:55:29 PM »
Paul, brilliant idea with the pencil!  I must try that.
Is the photo you posted using the rivets?

Warren

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2023, 07:17:52 AM »
Hi Warren
Yep the first pic is the rivet decals. The one below is the pencil technique (I wasn't convinced so rubbed it a bit to make it slightly less obvious, but in retrospect it looked fine ;)

Paul

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline Rick_H

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2023, 10:10:13 AM »
The pencil technique looks good to me.  I;ll try it as soon as I get up the nerve.
Thanks,
Rick in Seattle

Offline WD

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2023, 02:54:02 AM »
I'm going to have to try the pencil technique.

Thanks for this!

Warren