Author Topic: Acrylic Paint  (Read 3938 times)

Offline Todd Holaday

Re: Acrylic Paint
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2013, 05:09:14 AM »
Bo, is the Liquitex product you use called "slow-dri blending medium"?  Thanks. 

Michael, I didn't know Tamiya had an offereing.  According to this person it works well... http://dc23-mecharts.blogspot.com/2010/01/tamiya-paint-retarder-acrylic.html.  Having a little bit of trouble finding it at my normal internet shops.  Here's the Tamiya promo - they say use it 1:10 - http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/87114paint_retarder/index.htm
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 05:14:23 AM by Todd Holaday »

Offline michael

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2013, 07:45:29 AM »
Hi Todd i found the tamiya stuff on ebay £4 from hong kong to the u.k. + free postage. seems good stuff

michael
“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.”

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2013, 09:33:37 AM »
This is what I use Todd. It's a 4 oz bottle that sells at Curry Art store here in Canada for $8.50. I use it for both brushing and airbrushing Tamiya acrylics.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2013, 11:13:39 AM »
Chris, what's the advantage of using a retarder for air brushing, I can see the full benefits for brush painting.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2013, 11:23:41 AM »
Chris, what's the advantage of using a retarder for air brushing, I can see the full benefits for brush painting.

On occasion years ago, I used to encounter a sandpaper like finish on some of my paint jobs and it was attributable to the acrylic paint drying in the air before it made it to the model surface. I would also get a buildup around the nozzle of the airbrush which would cause splattering. Once I started to employ a drop or two of retarder in my colour cup paint mixture, those issues disappeared entirely.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2013, 11:33:58 AM »

On occasion years ago, I used to encounter a sandpaper like finish on some of my paint jobs and it was attributable to the acrylic paint drying in the air before it made it to the model surface. I would also get a buildup around the nozzle of the airbrush which would cause splattering. Once I started to employ a drop or two of retarder in my colour cup paint mixture, those issues disappeared entirely.

Cheers,

Chris

Yep, same reason car painters sometimes mix retarding agents into the paint before shooting-- mostly a matter of relative humidity...

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2013, 11:41:28 AM »
Bo, is the Liquitex product you use called "slow-dri blending medium"?  Thanks. 

Michael, I didn't know Tamiya had an offereing.  According to this person it works well... http://dc23-mecharts.blogspot.com/2010/01/tamiya-paint-retarder-acrylic.html.  Having a little bit of trouble finding it at my normal internet shops.  Here's the Tamiya promo - they say use it 1:10 - http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/87114paint_retarder/index.htm

That's the stuff! Other brands work as well. You can even use anti freeze, though I wouldn't recommend it -- it's quite toxic.