Author Topic: WiP - 1/72 Airfix Hawker Hurricane (and extras)  (Read 3286 times)

Online Davos522

Re: WiP - 1/72 Airfix Hawker Hurricane (and extras)
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2024, 01:10:59 AM »
Looking forward to seeing the progress... I had to do a double-take when I read that you'd fitted the upper wing first, though... :D

But then (doh!) I realized what you meant. Still, the idea of a biplane Hurricane is kind of intriguing, in a perverse sort of way.

Dutch

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2024, 06:33:49 AM »
Hi Dutch - funny you mention that, there was indeed a Hurricane biplane prototyped. Called the 'slip wing' or Hillson Hurricane, the aircraft was actually designed to enable a Hurricane to lift a greater load or take off from a shorter field, with the wing jettisonable after takeoff. It was found that later Hurricane variants could achieve the requirements on their own, so the idea was not necessary.

There are some conversion kits out there for this variant - it's definitely something that would make a cool model :)

Cheers,

BC

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2024, 08:21:22 AM »

Andrew - indeed I do; the wash on this one is raw umber oil paints.

Cool, I'm going to have a go at oil washes on the Bf109E3 I'm currently in the middle of  ;)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Online Davos522

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2024, 01:35:54 PM »
Wow! All the reading I’ve done on British types, and I never ran across that one!

I'd hate to have been the test-pilot assigned to that project; "So, Smithwick, when you get her up to oh, say, four thousand or thereabouts, give a good hard tug on this lever, and your top wing will fall off..."

You have to love those D.VII-style struts, though.

Dutch

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2024, 05:49:05 PM »
All part of being in the service, old chap! Haha!

The struts do remind one of the Fokker D.VII... who wants to do some kind of weird what-if crossover...?  ;D

In any case, I now have something resembling a Hurricane (engine, front cowl and prop are dry fitted). Still need to do some more clean up to deal with the bottom wing dimensions but thankfully nothing too serious.

Cheers,

BC

Online Davos522

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2024, 01:10:15 AM »
Looks marvelous from over here across the Big Pond. Question: Why did you choose the white primer? And was it airbrushed or a rattle-can?

Dutch
(and, one wonders, would a D.VII/Hurricane hybrid be a "Fokkacane"...? :D )

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2024, 05:28:41 AM »
Beautiful work Brad, she really is shaping up nicely. Being a two-blader adds more visual interest too!
Zac in NZ

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2024, 06:26:13 AM »
Thanks gents!

Dutch - there's no primer on the model at this stage; the kit plastic is quite light (and probably looks lighter with my photo editing, as I was trying to get the details to pop out a little more in the picture). 

When I do prime, it will be with some Mr Surfacer which is a medium grey colour.

Cheers,

BC

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2024, 03:31:37 AM »
That is absolutely gorgeous work Brad! The detail painting and washes on the engine and gun bay in this scale is amazing.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2024, 09:51:16 AM »
Thanks Rick!

I thought i'd try my hand today at something i've never done - scratchbuilding wing tip lights from clear sprue.

The kit moulds the wing tip lights as part of the wing panel. The lights on the real aircraft were coloured bulbs within a clear plastic exterior covering. I trimmed out the locations for the lights, and fashioned some new lights using clear plastic sprue. I drilled a small hole in the clear piece and added small dobs of clear red and clear green to represent the lights. I glued them in, then sanded and polished once the glue had dried. Here's what they look like:

Far from perfect, but much better than trying to paint up the solid grey plastic.

I also added the landing light clear pieces, having painted the back of the insert with a blob of silver to represent the bulb. These pieces were not a great fit, but look ok enough I think.

As an aside, I might need to look at that starboard wing dihedral.. but as far as the lights go, overall a successful first try, me thinks.

Cheers,

BC

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2024, 09:58:32 AM »
Awesome Brad. Once again you are raising the Bar for the rest of us 1/72nd guys  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2024, 09:21:03 AM »
Masterful work Brad. I really like the lights you’ve scratched up.

Tim

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2024, 07:25:32 AM »
I agree with Tim. I always paint a light on the reverse of a landing light part, but never though to make a whole new navigation light. It looks great!
Zac in NZ

Online Davos522

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2024, 09:41:06 AM »
Years ago, following a tip in the old Fine Scale Modeler from somebody or other (probably Bob Steinbrunn, who was, and is, one of my modeling heroes) I started saving clear colored sprues/Christmas oddiments for just such an application. But it never occurred to me that it would only be the bulbs that were colored, and not the covers...

Dutch

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2024, 11:53:36 PM »
Just catching up - Im really impressed with your skills! What a great build  :D
//Ben