Author Topic: 1:48 Voss/Rhys-Davids Decals?  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Davos522

1:48 Voss/Rhys-Davids Decals?
« on: October 22, 2023, 12:57:15 PM »
I've devoted much time and energy over the years to getting my oldest son Curtiss back into modeling (he's 37 now) and recently gave him custody in perpetuity of the Small Scale Stash (1:48 & :72) since I've gone upscale to 1:32. He's been combing the web for Eduard S.E.5s, and is thinking of fulfilling a long-standing goal of making Rhys-Davids' S.E. and Voss's triplane (we already had the DML/Dragon Tripe with the "KEMPF" decals). I know Aviattic makes a generic set of 1:48 F.I/Dr.I streaks, but does anyone make Voss's specific markings? And what about Rhys-Davids's "I" machine?

Dutch

Online Scaleber

Re: 1:48 Voss/Rhys-Davids Decals?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2023, 08:16:49 PM »
I've been looking for the same in 1/32 but to no avail and haven't seen any in 1/48 either.  Pheon used to make a 1/32 set but its out of production.  Hopefully with the Aviattic/Pheon connection we might get lucky in the future.  The Pheon set gave you Rhys Davids "I" machine but with the white stripe not the blue dumbbell.   

Offline Davos522

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2023, 11:11:00 PM »
Thanks, good to know. Aviattic did the 1:32 decals as part of their extravagant F.I mods package a couple of years ago, but Curt is sticking with 1:48.

Dutch

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2023, 06:10:23 PM »
Hi Dutch - Americal Gryphon made a set (144 / 145) of 56SQN SE5s in 1/48, which included commentary (and decals too, I think) on Rhys Davids "I" with the blue dumb bell marking. The exact position and style of the markings are purely speculative, given there was no contemporary photograph of the machine around the time of the Voss fight. Obviously this set is well and truly out of production, but I have one in the stash somewhere, I think.

As for the Voss cowling, I have not seen markings available for this machine in 1/48, sadly.

Cheers,

BC

Offline Davos522

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2023, 11:59:47 PM »
Thanks, Brad, are you back from your travels? I'll look that A/G sheet up on Scalemasters, and see what I can come up with. And it's surprising to me that nobody makes a set of markings for Voss's machine in 1:48, given that it's probably one of the two most famous Tripehounds there ever were... :-/

All best,

Dutch

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2023, 03:54:33 PM »
I'm afraid I can't help but
my oldest son Curtiss
as a lifelong fan of the P-40 I think that is an awesome name!!
Zac in NZ

Offline Davos522

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2023, 11:41:33 PM »
 Hi Zac, I’m actually half Curtiss on my mother’s side… so Curt’s name has nothing to do whatsoever with the fact that it’s one of my favorite aeroplane manufacturers… (nudge nudge wink wink say no more :) )

Dutch

Offline WD

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2023, 06:10:25 AM »
Hi Dutch - Americal Gryphon made a set (144 / 145) of 56SQN SE5s in 1/48, which included commentary (and decals too, I think) on Rhys Davids "I" with the blue dumb bell marking. The exact position and style of the markings are purely speculative, given there was no contemporary photograph of the machine around the time of the Voss fight. Obviously this set is well and truly out of production, but I have one in the stash somewhere, I think.

As for the Voss cowling, I have not seen markings available for this machine in 1/48, sadly.

Cheers,

BC

I think I have this decal set, but in 1/72nd in case anyone is in need of the info it contains.

Warren

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2023, 09:54:20 AM »
Hi Zac, I’m actually half Curtiss on my mother’s side… so Curt’s name has nothing to do whatsoever with the fact that it’s one of my favorite aeroplane manufacturers… (nudge nudge wink wink say no more :) )

Dutch
;D ;D
Zac in NZ

Offline Brian James Riedel

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2023, 07:03:24 AM »
Eduard did a Voss Tripe in their weekend series. Perhaps you might find one.

Also, didn’t Roseplane  do an F.1 conversion for the Fokker Dr.I with decals for Voss?

Brian Riedel
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 04:05:33 AM by Brian James Riedel »

Offline Davos522

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2023, 09:46:38 AM »
Thanks Brian, we're headed off to an IPMS show tomorrow... who knows? Serendipity might strike! Barring that, he can start looking online.

Appreciate the heads-up!

Dutch

Online Scaleber

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2023, 08:18:30 PM »

Cheers,

BC

I think I have this decal set, but in 1/72nd in case anyone is in need of the info it contains.

Warren

Could you post a picture of the decal set?  Just want to see if it matches my thoughts (research is too strong a word).  Thanks / Ian

Offline WD

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2023, 12:16:03 AM »
Apologies for the late reply. Let me see if I can find it here in the next few days.

Warren