WW1 Airshows and Model Shows > Model Shows

Scale Modelworld Telford 2023

(1/2) > >>

NigelR:
Just recovered from a hectic weekend at Scale Modelworld. It was a fantastic show and seemed to be nearly back to its pre-Covid levels of activity, which is really good as it seemed to be struggling a bit last year. Three halls full of models and traders, for anyone that hasn't been it's a massive show. Aviattic were there and had a busy weekend but sadly CSM weren't, I think Brexit and VAT changes have discouraged them. Maybe seeing the show back to the kind of level it used to be will tempt them back.

The Great War SIG had an 18 foot display featuring the work of 13 different modellers which is what the SIG is all about. Dave Hooper has posted photos on the SIG Faceache page here: https://www.facebook.com/GreatWarSIG, apologies if you don't have Facebook.

There were some very nice WWI models on display both on the tables and in the competition. For those of you that don't have Faceache, I've attached photos of the Gold winner in the WWI models class, a lovely Hannover by David Lane. I've also attached a photo of a Fokker DII by Haris Ali, which was a favourite of mine. Haris won Silver but I think it was for his other entry rather than this one.

Finally I attached a photo of the Best in Show, which was a scratchbuilt large scale sci-fi/what if "1919" mashup of a Junkers DI and an F35! It was an amazing piece of work. I didn't like to point out that if this ever existed it wouldn't have been painted in naval hex, and that for a 1919 "what if", the Germans no longer used eisernes kreuz so it should really have balkan kreuz..... But then no-one likes a rivet counter.... ;) ;D

DaddyO:
Glad you enjoyed yourself Nigel (I really must get myself organised for next years show)

Loved the weathering on that DII (Those earlier Fokkers are interesting aircraft, hopefully I'll get around to one at some point) As to the Balken Kreus / Eisernes Kreus, well just such a schoolboy error   ;D ;)

Paul (AKA the Riveteer) :)

Davos522:
Thanks for posting these, Nigel, as I recently mentioned in another thread one of my most cherished dreams is to make it to Telford at some point. I'll check out Dave H's posts, although I seldom go on Facebook anymore as it's too politicized.

RE: the Junkers/F-35 hybrid, as Diego Fernetti on the WWI List used to say, "... and the weathering is all wrong." :)

Dutch

IanB:
Thanks for posting those. I've seen the FB posts, there were (as usual) some very impressive models there!
I hope to get back next year....

Ian

NigelR:
Paul, Ian you really must plan to attend next year if it's a three hall show. For some reason this was the most enjoyable SMW I can remember. I think it helps that we have a big SIG presence there so  there is a good core of WWI modellers to chew the cud with. And they had real ale at bar as well, after two pints of that at our lunch meet I couldn't resist a WNW Pfalz DIIIa at £160! :o

Dutch, if there's a chance you can ever get to SMW it is well worth it. Someone on the IPMS USA page was claiming it's a similar size to the 2019 US Nats in Chatanooga (which I assume was a big show). I did the math - it's nearly twice the size of that!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version