Author Topic: Dewoitine D. 520, 1940; 1:32 Azur  (Read 1582 times)

Offline Borsos

Re: Dewoitine D. 520, 1940; 1:32 Azur
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2023, 04:00:50 PM »
Thank you very much, Steve!
I‘d also wait for the Dora Wings kit to come…
I didn’t use the Nose correction set as I couldn’t find it for sale. But I used resin control surfaces which, compared to photos of the real thing, looked even worse and needed to be corrected. The other aftermarket sets I used were a yahu instrument panel (btw: the resin cockpit of my version of the kit was not too bad) and a set of Squadron vacu canopy. In the end I only tried to use the middle part, the sliding hood that I just couldn’t get sit right on the fuselage. In the end I vacuformed my own part which got way better. I don’t know how much putty I used on this kit. All control surfaces and wings needed heavy thinning. I also sanded the whole surface and rescribed all the panel lines which are just not correct on the kit.
For painting I used a set of colors for French 1940 camo from the Hataka orange line. I really enjoyed working with them. Only the smell is a little strange.
Andreas
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 05:58:37 PM by Borsos »
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2023, 05:22:55 PM »
Wow, that's a rare bird, Andreas. Sounds like a lot of hard work but worth it to have a great result like that in the cabinet.
I don't know much about the French aircraft of this period, but it looks like it ought to have been pretty potent - a tiny airframe behind a massive engine, but perhaps under-armed against a cannon equipped Bf109?
Lovely work
Sandy

Offline Borsos

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2023, 04:45:27 AM »
Thank you very much, Sandy. As far as I know the main problem with the Dewoitine was it was late for the show in May/June 1940. most French escadrilles still were equipped with inferior machines like the Morane-Saulnier 406. But where the Dewoitine showed up, it was an unwelcome surprise for the Luftwaffe. It’s also been told that the Dewoitine was difficult to fly and got quickly into a spin.
Andreas
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 06:14:50 PM by Borsos »
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2023, 05:42:36 PM »
Impressive work! I like the shading effect you achieved!  :D
//Ben

Offline Borsos

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2023, 06:15:09 PM »
Thank you very much Ben!
Barbusse.
Remarque.