Author Topic: Seeking Tamiya Acrylics Pointers  (Read 1004 times)

Online Davos522

Seeking Tamiya Acrylics Pointers
« on: October 14, 2023, 08:06:29 AM »
When I decided to start airbrushing again I read up on the various acrylic options both here and on other venues; having worked in an auto collision/restoration shop off and on for nearly two decades, I've inhaled more lacquer/urethane enamel fumes than the average person would be exposed to in several lifetimes :-P  I had some Vallejo colors lying around that I experimented with, but experienced consistent clogging after about 5 minutes despite various combinations of thinner/retarder/PSI settings. There seems to be a fairly large number of modelers who swear by Tamiya, and since they're inexpensive and available locally I went out and bought a couple of colors, a bottle of their retarder, and some X-20A thinner to play with.

Any guidelines RE: thinner/paint ratios and air settings would be greatly appreciated.

I have two airbrushes; my old faithful single-action Paasche H with a fine tip/needle setup, and a Badger Anthem 155 that my son gave me a few weeks ago, my first double-action gun, which I'm still learning the ins and outs of. Both run off a double-tank commercial compressor with an in-line water trap.

Anyway, all tips gratefullly accepted  :)

Dutch

Offline davec

Re: Seeking Tamiya Acrylics Pointers
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2023, 08:22:21 AM »
I use Tamiya a lot because it airbrushes really well and is easy to find.  I thin about 50/50 with Mr Color Leveling thinner.  I used to use the Tamiya thinner and it worked well too.  I have an Iwata eclipse airbrush and spray at 16-18 PSI, which seems to work well with either the .35 or .5 needle.

Tamiya is probably less noxious than whatever is used on cars, but still not supposed to be in the lungs.  I use a vapor filter mask and spray booth.

My main issue with Tamiya and reason why I may gradually switch to mr color or some other brand is I have a really hard time getting good results brushing by hand.  I would appreciate any tips anyone has.

Dave

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2023, 11:48:18 AM »
My main issue with Tamiya and reason why I may gradually switch to mr color or some other brand is I have a really hard time getting good results brushing by hand.  I would appreciate any tips anyone has.
I always feel awkward and somewhat guilty when this comes up but I've used Tamiya acrylics by hand since I started school. 30yr later I still just stir the paint, shake the bottle, and brush it on straight. I cannot explain why this works so well for me yet so many other folks have issues  :'(
Zac in NZ

Online Davos522

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2023, 11:04:35 PM »
Thanks, Dave, after posting my query but before reading your reply I actually had some time to go out and fiddle around with the Tamiya paints. I was using a 50/50 mix of product and X-20A thinner, with 15psi in the Badger, and was getting pretty good results. So I was glad to see that was very close to your working specs.

And Zac, everything on my Nieuport so far has been brush-painted, all the cockpit components, as well as the seams, which I've been hitting with Tamiya Liquid Surface primer. I haven't tried brushing the Tamiya acrylics, but after reading your reply I'll have to give it a try! (and I haven't forgotten about scanning that Nieuport rigging diagram, I just need to get my wife to show me how her scanner works :-)

Dutch

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2023, 08:28:04 AM »
I thin it with 99.9% IPA when brushing. Cool thing is you can let it dry in the palette, and rejuvenate whenever with more IPA. I like X-20A for airbrushing, but sometimes use lacquer thinner when looking for more bite.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2023, 01:47:26 PM »
I haven't tried brushing the Tamiya acrylics, but after reading your reply I'll have to give it a try! (and I haven't forgotten about scanning that Nieuport rigging diagram, I just need to get my wife to show me how her scanner works :-)
Unfortunately it really seems to be hit and miss for many folk, but good luck. And thank you both - I'm in no rush!
Zac in NZ

Online Davos522

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2023, 02:41:43 PM »
Thanks, Bo, I'll pick some up and give it a whirl, as it'd be good to be able to use the same product line for brushing where applicable. And NP, Zac, she has multimillion-dollar company spreadsheets on her machine so she forbids me to touch it, for some inexplicable reason...  :P

I guess the Tamiya acrylics must be related to (or perhaps are, in fact, identical to?) the acrylic urethanes we used in the restoration shop. I should experiment with some enamel reducer as well as lacquer thinner, since I can get 'em by the 5 gal can.

Dutch

Offline WD

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2023, 09:32:37 AM »
I tried Tamiya years ago and hated it because I was trying to brush paint with it. It hates itself! ;)

I love airbrushing it though. (For brush painting I'm currently experimenting with the Tamiya Retarder.

I'm using an Iwata Eclipse with Tamiya thinned about 40:60 Tamiya to MLT/aka Unicorn Tears. I shoot very thin, but at very low pressure, 10-12 lbs or thereabouts. One thing about MLT my friends swear by is to take your kit, and give it a VERY light over-spray with just pure MLT, it'll settle everything down into the details, etc. I'm going to try this soon.

Warren

Online Davos522

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2023, 12:10:05 PM »
Hey Warren, do you mean they apply the Leveling Thinner after the paint is cured? or while it's still soft, or what? Sounds interesting, in any event.

Dutch

Offline WD

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2023, 12:40:46 PM »
Dutch, apply it in the next few minutes after having sprayed your paint on, well before it's cured. Tonight I painted some props Tamiya Deck Tan, thinned about what I mentioned, cleaned out my airbrush real quick, and then lightly misted on some MLT. It smoothed things out nicely. They don't call it "Unicorn Tears" for nothing. ;)

Warren
Still a neophyte when it comes to the dark art of airbrushing

NB (now building): Eduard Nie.17's 1/72nd
ND (now drinking): bourbon, neat (my go-to modeling fluid)
NR (now reading): T-34 Shock:The Soviet Legend in Pictures

PS: We used to sign off with these little blurbs on the WWI Modeling List 20+ years ago, I'm just trying to resurrect the practice. Rick Geisler, Paul Thompson, Matt Bittner, and others will recall this. ;)

Online Davos522

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2023, 01:05:29 PM »
Thanks, Warren, that sounds like it'd be worth a shot (literally!)

And I cracked up when I saw your N-list... I remember them well! I was Dave #11 or 12 on the List, down at the tail-end of the line along with Watts and Zulis. All we need is Diego and the Heretic to turn up around here!

Dutch
PS - RE: ND; take a look at Brad Cancian's current Albatros thread if you want to see the new Official Cocktail of the WW1 Aircraft Models Forum :D

Offline WD

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2023, 02:35:53 AM »
Thanks, Warren, that sounds like it'd be worth a shot (literally!)

And I cracked up when I saw your N-list... I remember them well! I was Dave #11 or 12 on the List, down at the tail-end of the line along with Watts and Zulis. All we need is Diego and the Heretic to turn up around here!

Dutch
PS - RE: ND; take a look at Brad Cancian's current Albatros thread if you want to see the new Official Cocktail of the WW1 Aircraft Models Forum :D

Oh man!  I do remember all of the Daves!  Tom Morgan is still out there building, so is Tracy Hancock, and of course Grze is one of the big movers with Arma Hobby. I see Shane the Elder and Shane Weir on the Facing Book every once in a while. I do wish we could get Diego in here.

I must go see Brad's build now.

I'll try to post some progress on the Noops if I can get some decent pics made.

Warren