Author Topic: New painting - McCudden's Kite  (Read 1798 times)

Offline RussellSmith

• Russell Smith Studios
New painting - McCudden's Kite
« on: January 25, 2013, 07:37:11 AM »
McCudden's Kite depicts the DH2 which James McCudden was flying when he scored his first victory on Sept. 6, 1916 while serving with 29 Sq, RFC. Compared to some of my other works, this was a fairly spontaneous piece, quickly evolving from a simple sketch in my sketchbook to a finished painting without much change in the original composition. I added the scattering birds as a way to give the piece some movement. The biggest challenge in this piece were the hedges and grass. I wanted to capture the visual texture of weedy, scrubby bushes and small trees, but I didn't want it to be detailed or else it would detract from the subject. I found that I was unable to acheive the effect I was looking for with a paintbrush, but in the end was able to solve the problem by painting the bushes and grass with a palette knife.

McCuden's Kite
17" x 11"
oil on linen on masonite

"Art is about creating a feeling, an emotion, not about creating a pictorial catalog of the artist's knowledge and research" - Gil Cohen.
Russell Smith
site: www.russellsmithart.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Russel...s/103226508613

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: New painting - McCudden's Kite
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 07:40:44 AM »
Excellent work. Interesting note on the shrubs/ aircraft - foreground situation. Always nice to read this kind of problem solving.

Steve

note: Just went to your site and picked up your two open prints of the Brothers vR...and Im eying a couple of limited's as well....
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 08:06:56 AM by pepperman42 »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 09:23:11 AM »
An absolute pleasure to view; it's got it all. Movement is apparent and the mind wanders to the percieved theme. Short final on approach, mission behind, a little exuberance, and probably a little relief as well. I really like this one, and Thanks for posting it here.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 11:33:25 AM »
An absolute pleasure to view; it's got it all. Movement is apparent and the mind wanders to the percieved theme. Short final on approach, mission behind, a little exuberance, and probably a little relief as well. I really like this one, and Thanks for posting it here.
Cheers,
Lance

+1, well put Lance, and well done Russell.

Offline RussellSmith

• Russell Smith Studios
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 10:38:06 PM »
Thanks so much guys!  :)
"Art is about creating a feeling, an emotion, not about creating a pictorial catalog of the artist's knowledge and research" - Gil Cohen.
Russell Smith
site: www.russellsmithart.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Russel...s/103226508613