Author Topic: Brush Painting  (Read 3136 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Re: Brush Painting
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 11:52:36 AM »
CDL is Clear Doped Linen.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Von Schlepp

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 04:52:14 AM »
Hey I was just kidding. I was making a reference to one of the build logs.
"what colour is CDL? How long is string?"

Offline Von Schlepp

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 06:28:58 AM »
Which PC-10?
Early or late?.....faded?
I wish I could find the Humbrol colour for it.

Offline Von Schlepp

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 06:21:57 AM »
I found a shop here in Calgary that sells all Humbrol products. The fella says he's gonna stock it forever.
This weekend i'm going to pick up some of their acrylics too and try brushing them.

-Rog

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 10:42:25 AM »
I found a shop here in Calgary that sells all Humbrol products. The fella says he's gonna stock it forever.
This weekend i'm going to pick up some of their acrylics too and try brushing them.

-Rog

Von Schlepp,
   Can you provide the name of the Calgary Shop? I used to go to Uncle Bill's on occasion but havn't been downtown in years. Have a Daughter in Airedrie though so visit occasionally and a Humbrol stock would be worth a trip into the downtown. I hear the fellow that ran Uncle Bill's is not well (Rick Chin?) and out of business. Used to be a great help to me when I visited often on business.
Cheers,
Lance :)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 11:12:40 AM »
I have heard that Humbrol acrylics brush very well, I am going to give them a try soon, I have yet to hear how well they spray, if they spray like Gunze acrylics I will certainly be building up my stocks of Humbrol.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 07:15:57 PM »
although i have 2 airbrushes and do use them for certain things . i actually prefer brush painting in most cases. i blows some modellers minds. i have been called a liar when i say "i painted this plane by brush" so it is definately possible to have excellent results with brush. i have to say my favorite acrylic is old green label pollyscale. the red label stuff is o.k. but not quite as good. i have also had success with model master acrylics. the key with those are making sure they are thinned well and retarder doesnt hurt. retarder is the only way you can make tamiya paints behave btw. anyway when i can i use a wide very soft square tip brush which works great. another trick that helps to acheive that flawless finish is clear coats. once i am done painting i brush on some self leveling future(klear) then decal another coat of future then spray rattle can dullcote. i the addition of the clear coat does a ton to smooth out any impefections you might have and matte finishes in general are harder to see imperfections, with gloss cotes to me it seems to show off flaws. in certain cases after the above treatment i have sanded or rather honed or polished which smooths things out. sometimes i end up with a random bump in the paint. then a couple light matte coats again.recently i have been experimenting with acrylic paint. i found a type of bulk acryl base at the local art supply store. i bought that and concentrated pigments and have been making my own paints from scratch. using diff additives to refine qualities. ive gotten to a place where i have a decent product. extremely matte. the thought occured to make a line of ww1 aero paints to sell to friends but that would be down the line. i am happy with what i'm doing and the finishes i'm getting on my models but i dont have it to the point where i could guarantee consistancy . maybe one day.

Offline Von Schlepp

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2013, 02:23:13 PM »
Lance, the shop is Model land. 3409A 26th. ave. s.w.
403 249 1661.
Like I mentioned, great selection and price.
Rick does not look the greatest, he has a shop in the n.e. (last 3 or more years) Always been good to me.
Sometimes I'll go there and he won't be open.

I haven't brushed polly scale or MM.
Did ok brushing vallejo this week though.

-Roger

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 03:47:14 AM »
Thanks Roger, I'll try to drop in there next time I'm in town. Sorry to hear Rick is indeed not well, can I bother you for his shop address as well, maybe I'll try to find him at work next time as well. No rush but would like to see him if I can.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Von Schlepp

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 05:09:09 AM »
Hi again Lance. The shop is  in Castle Ridge, north of Mcknight in this goofy little industrial park.
#605 4655 54th. ave. N.E.  T3J-3Z4
403-277-2762 I usually phone first.

-Roger

Offline Von Schlepp

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 05:48:51 AM »
I still prefer Humbrol enamels  :-\

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2013, 07:41:34 AM »
Thanks Roger, I appreciate the info.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Von Schlepp

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2013, 04:33:30 AM »
Hey Guys, I know it was suggested to use different brushes etc. when brushing acrylics.
But until you do some things through trial and error BY ONES SELF. You never learn.

I was painting a wing section with Vallejo "buff" a decent colour by the way for using under losenge...
It was doing that damn acrylic streaky crap. I grabbed an old large sable brush and the wing looked airbrushed. Well it's very smooth to say the least.

I'll airbrush some clear over top now.

Have a good day everyone,
-Von Schlepp

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2013, 12:54:39 PM »
this is my experience too. a large soft brush will leave a nearly flawless surface. especially if your paint is thinned correctly.