Author Topic: WiP - Eduard 1/48 Albatros D.III  (Read 5570 times)

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
Re: WiP - Eduard 1/48 Albatros D.III
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2023, 09:57:55 PM »
Yep.  Glad you kept the interior “simple”.  ::)   Great work Brad!

Offline Davos522

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2023, 10:48:13 PM »
Sheer artistry, this is a really fun log to follow. I'm curious, what do you use for scribing panel lines?

Dutch

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2023, 01:20:34 AM »
Those are great details. They certainly hit the mark!

Steve

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2023, 07:38:17 AM »
Thanks all!

Hi Dutch - nothing too complex for the panel lines; I pretty much use a hobby knife blade and, if needed, a simple straight pointed scriber. For heavier panel lines, I do sometimes use dental scribers (those ones that dentists love to use but that we patients all hate), but I don't use those all that regularly (I didn't use those tools on this model).

I've also had some comments outside of this thread regarding the Master barrels, and the fact that I haven't quite gotten them to fit correctly (the flash suppressor is too far forward from the booster, and the barrel doesn't necessarily go all the way through to the breech block, for example). Indeed these observations are correct.

There are several challenges with the Master set; the barrel itself that slots into the face of the jacket and runs to the breech block is actually too long; it would require drilling longitudinally into the breech block to fit. I took the easier option and trimmed the end off; there was no science in this; I did trim it too short to make sure it didn't cause me problems (this is apparent in close up photographs, but in real life, we're talking something smaller than a hobby knife blade in total length, so it's hard to see unless your nose is 2 inches away from the part... once it's in place on the model it will be very difficult to spot... so I left it).

The second issues is the barrel / flash suppressor sticks out too far from the booster housing. This was apparent even when I built it. This part of the Master set is separate; it fits into a recessed cup at the end of the booster housing, but that cup is a tad too shallow, which prevents the end piece from fully slotting into the housing. As this is brass, and the pieces are quite small, I didn't attempt to drill this out further, in case I risked damaging the parts.

The parts are very small, even in 1/48 scale, and given the fragility of the items in question, I decided not to 'push my luck', so to speak, and left them as is. It's far from perfect, but I am very far from a perfect modeller, haha!  :D

I did contemplate using a set of the Gaspatch guns, which I have used before on several models. I do love the Gaspatch items, but I did have a little bit of trouble fitting these to my Albatros DV; they are just a tad large for the Eduard model, so for this one I went with the kit guns and the Master set, as I have a couple of sets of the Master barrels in the stash. Next time, I think i'll go back to the Gaspatch guns.

In any case, the fuselage is now together and drying; next step, clean up of the seams and starting work on the flying surfaces.

Cheers again!

BC
Owner and Administrator
forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2023, 11:27:46 PM »
This is looking very good Brad.

I very much like the extra detailing with the valve springs on the engine.

It seems sensible not to tinker with the machine guns given their fragility.

Cheers,

Willem

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2023, 07:05:53 PM »
Thanks Willem! The springs are a relatively simple addition but certainly help 'bulk out' the rather anaemic looking Eduard engine.

Slow progress, but progress none the less - the fuselage is together and cleaned up. I also added nail head detail to the vertical fin and tail skid support. I had to shim the horizontal stabiliser with some 0.05" plastic card to get a snug fit against the fuselage (their DV kit has a similar problem, but it's far less of an issue with the D.III kit). I also cut and drooped the elevator.

I have also glued the undercarriage legs. I replaced the kit axle and supporting bracing strut with strip styrene. Unlike the DV kit, the D.III legs are the correct kit, which is great as it means no extension of the legs is required. The one thing that does need replacing, however, are the kit wheels - they are too small. I replaced the kit wheels with Barracuda resin replacement wheels. These also have an appropriate 'flat spot' on the bottom to give the impression of weight. These fit the bill nicely.

Here is where she sits, with the undercarriage and tail feathers dry fitted in place.

Getting there, slowly but surely...!

Cheers,

BC
Owner and Administrator

Offline NigelR

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2023, 09:34:04 PM »
Excellent progress, this is looking very good.

Offline Davos522

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2023, 01:08:06 AM »
Brad, the word that always comes to mind when I look at your work is "elegant"... in the sense that it never looks over-worked or fussy, just beautifully done. And thanks for answering my question RE: scribing, I knew back in the day Squadron made a scribing tool that  was supposedly pretty handy, but I always just use a knife too, then flip it over and draw the dull edge of the point through the groove to reinforce it and remove the swarf.

Dutch

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2023, 12:40:24 PM »
Many thanks Nigel and Dutch, much appreciated! Behind the seeming elegance is usually 5 or 6 mistakes i've had to fix before I show everyone, haha!  ;D

I've now attached the lower wings (these are essentially butt joints but should hold up ok).

In the mean time, I have started to turn my attention to a colour scheme. I would like to do something that has a wooden fuselage and a painted tail in some kind of colour. One scheme that has taken my fancy as a candidate is D.2124/16, flown by Lt Gustav Nernst, Jasta 30, April 1917.

The "Jasta Colours" book has a profile and description of this machine (pages 99-101). The tail, spinner, forward nose, and upper wing are light / medium green, with the rear fuselage and tail also in the same green. The rear fuselage, vertical tail and tail skid fairing also had white trim. Apparently the green / white colours were chosen by Nernst in reference to his earlier service in Royal Prussian Cuirassier Regiment 8, which had these uniform / trim colours. The reason for the green upper wing was apparently to distinguish Nernst as the "half unit" leader within Jasta 30.

What are your thoughts on this scheme? It's not one that i've seen modelled and it looks like it might be quite interesting.

Any other suggestions for colour schemes?

Thanks!

BC

Owner and Administrator

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2023, 10:21:54 PM »
That’s a neat scheme Brad. I’d really like to see you bring it to life. 

Offline Davos522

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2023, 10:44:40 PM »
This one's got my vote too. That's a beautiful study of a man and his aeroplane... but I think Tim hit the nail right on the head, half the fun of modeling is being able to give new dimensions to old photographs like this!

Dutch

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2023, 06:17:30 PM »
Hi everyone - more small updates.

One of the omissions from the Eduard kit is the aileron control rods on the upper wing. These sat within a cut out just forward of the aileron join, but behind the rear wing strut. This rod had the aileron cables attached (which were routed, famously, through the lower wing), one cable ahead of the hinge line, the other behind the hinge line, to pull the aileron around the hinge. This is a relatively simple modification, albeit a bit of an annoying one... but one that adds to the 'functional' appearance of the model.

You'll notice also the different colour of the plastic to the rest of the kit; Nernst's D.III was an early model with the central radiator, so I had to steal this wing from another kit (oh well).

The lower wing and horizontal tail are now all joined on, ready for clean up, which should be minor.

I'll also have to correct the pilot's foot step on the fuselage before paint; the kit models the very early rounded foot step, but as you can see, the aircraft in question had a square foot step. Should be an easy fix.

Almost at the point of priming, yippee!

Cheers,

BC
Owner and Administrator

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2023, 08:24:24 PM »
Nice modifications to this kit Brad. Your attention to detail is what makes your build really stand apart. 

Offline osterkamp

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2023, 09:01:18 PM »
everything looks so easy...(just the appearance) superb work as usual.... ;)

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2023, 09:46:29 PM »
A very fine improvement of the aileron arm. All in all - a great build. But then, you know it, Brad  ;)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.