WW1 Aircraft Modeling > Under Construction

Sopwith 5F.1 Dolphin 1/32 Wingnut Wings

(1/17) > >>

AngryJazz:
Hi all!

Having taken a small break and building a Bandai kit, I'm ready to start my 2nd WW1 build!

The Sopwith Dolphin!

I've really been itching to get started after seeing so many beautiful builds on this forum  :)

Don't think many like this Sopwith version - "the ugly duckling" as my friend calls it  ;D But for some reason these wierd looking shapes are just what I like! That along with a huge engine and lots of machine guns! The Dolphin is simply amazing  ;)

I tried 3D printing a seat and some spark plugs. IF they turn out okay I'll use them as replacements for the kit parts.

Prints

Markings for this bird.

RAGIII:
Those seats look terrific. The Dolphin was one of my favorite WNW builds. I am looking forward to seeing yours.
RAGIII

NigelR:
Be careful with the decals - mine were really awful, broke up and would not conform to the surfaces. They were clearly part of the bad run of decals in WNW kits. They caused my build to stall and it's on the shelf of doom and unlikely ever to make it back.

I suggest you test some from the scheme you are not doing to see if you have troublesome decals or not. I found that using really hot water helped, along with using hair dryer. 

AngryJazz:
Thank you RAGII  :D

--- Quote from: NigelR on August 23, 2023, 05:02:21 PM ---Be careful with the decals - mine were really awful, broke up and would not conform to the surfaces. They were clearly part of the bad run of decals in WNW kits. They caused my build to stall and it's on the shelf of doom and unlikely ever to make it back.

I suggest you test some from the scheme you are not doing to see if you have troublesome decals or not. I found that using really hot water helped, along with using hair dryer. 

--- End quote ---

Thank you for the heads up Nigel! I will try to take care. I've heard some WNW decals can be very troublesome. Hope mine will be fine, but luckily I have another Dolphin kit in the stash for spares  ;)

As for the build - for now I have just been staring at the kit trying to plan my approach. Bit of lesson I learned from the Albatros... Need to read ahead and plan for each step of the build more carefully.

I decided to add / hide small eyelets for the internal rigging. Some color and pictures will follow soon!

AngryJazz:
Finally got a bit of work to show on the Dolphin!  ;D

It's been really slow work... My sons have not been easy to get to sleep these last few weeks, so not much modeling time. However i'm really happy I at least make a little progress most nights!

Anyways.

Tried to make a darker wood color for this one with raw umber oils over a tan base.
Added a bit of variation in the wood grain and made sure each plank would have grains in a natural direction it would have been cut.

Not sure if its a bit too dark, but it's somewhat close to the suggestion in the instruction  ;)

Brush painted the rest of the details and added rigging, eyelets and fasteners.

The lighter tones are ochre over a white base.

Both wood tones got a mist of Tamiya clear orange for a bit of a warmer hue.

Light weathering with some oils.

Still lots to do before I can think of closing the fuselage. Think engine or cockpit sides are up next.

Oh and I decided not to use my 3D printed seat... It was not the same variation of the seat... Maybe next time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version