Author Topic: CSM future plans  (Read 3658 times)

Offline Borsos

Re: CSM future plans
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2023, 02:41:09 PM »
I am just a modeller (and maybe a kit collector, too;  but unintentionally) and every 2nd kit of a subject for me is another lost opportunity for something not yet released at all.

I am happily no businessman who needs to take into account such things like „shall I really do a kit of this or that subject and burn a lot of money because no one will buy it? Or shall I release the 150th Bf-109 kit instead that I don’t like but that saves my company?“

What I find interesting is that the market obviously works in a little more complex way than this. I would never have thought that CSM would produce such a huge number of exotic armored cars that seem to sell quite well. Maybe the reason is that they are cheaper in production, maybe it is that you only need to release something good enough and people jump onto the train and build it. I think CSM has this potential.

Because that company is a business and the object of a business is to make money
Nah, capitalism always sucked, sucks and won’t stop to do so :)
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Edgar

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2023, 06:34:04 PM »
Armoured cars, which we are doing, are not exotic, but the main AFV used in WWI: Lanchesters, Lancias, Canadian MG carrier, Renault 1914, all of them were important subjects for their time and we are doing them. Still need to kit Garford-Putilov, Tripoli Terno, Austin, all of them played a significant role.

We didn`t bother to make RR or tanks, since they are already on the market and it would be suicide to do the tank for example British one, from an economic point of view. We are just a small company (3 of us here, and that is including an accountant), with a modest budget to do the same model which will have a huge amount of runners/parts, that can afford only big companies, who can easily spend 70-80-100 000eur on a project. But again, 70-80-100 000 for a tank would be a price for an outside company that is ordering moulds for the kit, like ours.  When you have the tools (workshop or a factory) and know-how, you can do it cheaper (per project) since you will be earning money not from doing the mould (like we are paying to the factory) but from selling a future kit (like eduard, Takom, Meng).

So it is important to invest money into something that can earn you money. After that, you can re-invest again in a new project, and/or re-box that kit again and again. We are here because we love WWI period, but to do that, we need carefully invest hard-earned money from the previously released kit into a new one. That is why we are spending more to offer up-to-date quality (for a price that we can afford) with all those old-looking instructions, to let you feel that period, with additional pre-order historical articles so you would know more about the subjects. I guess we are more like enthusiasts in this aspect, then business Companies.

That is why you need projects that can be re-boxes several times (like Nieuports or Fokker D.VII) not like Hansa Brandenburg D.I (only an example) - a great looking subject, but almost every machine differs from another, each may have its own feature and hard to re-box it later on.
WWI aviation is even more expensive to produce, by the way, especially when we are talking about inline-engine models, and still, we are slowly getting there as well.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 06:50:56 PM by Edgar »

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2023, 07:57:41 PM »
Hi Edgar,
Thanks,
Not only for your last post but for the fact that 'Copper State Models' continues to exist.
I for one consider, as many do, that your products are up there with the defunct 'Wingnut Wings' models.
It's amazing to think that CSM consists of just three people when compared to other, much larger companies, who produce models that are not at your high standard of quality.
Your business model makes sense and I guess had WNW followed the same route, they might still be around.
We modelers will always have our 'wish lists' and sometimes we just have to bite the bullet and wait.
But it is reassuring to know there are dedicated and enthusiastic companies like yourselves that will strive to fulfill some of those wishes,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Davos522

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2023, 10:45:38 PM »
Amen, Mike.

Thank you, Edgar, for all your hard work and efforts to continue Eric Hight's dream. I'm happy to say he and I were friends—in fact I built and maintained the second (black background) CSM website for a number of years back around 2000, and shared many late-night bottles of Corona with him (via long-distance telephone!). I know he'd be proud of where you and your team have taken the company.

Dave V.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2023, 04:11:38 AM »
Well I'm going to focus on one of your comments Edgar - "That is why you need projects that can be re-boxes several times (like Nieuports or Fokker D.VII)" hmmmm DVII's?!! I know, I know there's the WNW kits but where are they really?  Can we get one at a reasonable price?-nope. Rumour mill spooling up.......You're doing great work and all from a company of three(don't listen to the accountant)

Steve
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 04:18:19 AM by pepperman42 »

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2023, 06:28:10 AM »
Edgar's comments about the Hansa Brandenberg D.1 offer some explanation as to why we haven't seen it yet.  Looking forward to the HB D.1 and any other AH subjects that Copperstate cares to create.
Honor Necessity

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2023, 07:32:10 AM »
Thank you for your invaluable insight, Edgar! It's one thing for me to sit here and ponder "why are they releasing X instead of Y?" but quite another to learn the realities.

I for one would be very keen on a CSM Fokker D.VII!
Zac in NZ

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2023, 11:56:24 AM »
 Yes thanks Edgar you’re awesome !
And CSM. Purchased multiples of your kits and will buy everything you put out. Even thinking of armoured cars which I never had before.
If people want other subjects see Lukhgraph. I understand dreaming making wish lists. But get real any company who paid attention to that would go broke. We all support Roden of course. But if CSM or someone does a 1/32 Fokker dVii or Spad vii or anything else I support it fully.
We can only have one 2000’s Albatros 111 or OOP expensive Dvii to chose from? No way!
If we’re patient Lukgraph or someone else will probably bring it out, including the Macchi M5 I’m hoping for :)
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2023, 06:57:24 PM »
Yes thanks Edgar you’re awesome !
And CSM. Purchased multiples of your kits and will buy everything you put out. Even thinking of armoured cars which I never had before.
If people want other subjects see Lukhgraph. I understand dreaming making wish lists. But get real any company who paid attention to that would go broke. We all support Roden of course. But if CSM or someone does a 1/32 Fokker dVii or Spad vii or anything else I support it fully.
We can only have one 2000’s Albatros 111 or OOP expensive Dvii to chose from? No way!
If we’re patient Lukgraph or someone else will probably bring it out, including the Macchi M5 I’m hoping for :)

I'm guessing you know already that HPH Models have the Macchi M.5 in 1:32nd scale, but it is resin.
A nice model if you don't mind working with resin,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2023, 09:58:11 PM »
Hi Edgar,

Armoured cars, which we are doing, are not exotic, but the main AFV used in WWI: Lanchesters, Lancias, Canadian MG carrier, Renault 1914, all of them were important subjects for their time and we are doing them. Still need to kit Garford-Putilov, Tripoli Terno, Austin, all of them played a significant role.

That’s without doubt true from a historical point of view. But in the modeling world they are quite uncommon, besides of the RR no armored car existed as a plastic injection kit yet afaik. There were only expensive resin kits from brands like Sparta. But now there’s no model show without some Romfells or Lancias, which was unimaginable before CSM released them. That’s why I called them „exotic“.

So it is important to invest money into something that can earn you money. After that, you can re-invest again in a new project, and/or re-box that kit again and again. We are here because we love WWI period, but to do that, we need carefully invest hard-earned money from the previously released kit into a new one.
That is why you need projects that can be re-boxes several times (like Nieuports or Fokker D.VII) not like Hansa Brandenburg D.I (only an example) - a great looking subject, but almost every machine differs from another, each may have its own feature and hard to re-box it later on.
WWI aviation is even more expensive to produce, by the way, especially when we are talking about inline-engine models, and still, we are slowly getting there as well.

That’s why I am happy not to have to carry such responsibilities. I’d burn all the money in no time for stuff that no one but me would ever be willing to build….

But I am heavily interested what these „inline engines models“ are, the oracles already have started here   :)

That is why we are spending more to offer up-to-date quality (for a price that we can afford) with all those old-looking instructions, to let you feel that period, with additional pre-order historical articles so you would know more about the subjects. I guess we are more like enthusiasts in this aspect, then business Companies.

And that’s what most of all deserves full support, that’s why I happily buy every CSM release as soon as I can afford to do so.  :)

Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2023, 12:45:01 AM »
Armoured cars, which we are doing, are not exotic, but the main AFV used in WWI: Lanchesters, Lancias, Canadian MG carrier...

Edgar,
 I hope you can help.
I'm at the decal stage of the build and would you believe it, I can't find the decals! I must of had a brain fart and thrown them out. Is there a way I can order more? Or, if there is a kind member out there who is not modelling S.B.4, happy to send some coin for them.
 ::) ::)

Needs decals before I can dip the kit in the magic bucket of weathering stardust  :o ;D
Cheers,
Machine Gun Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2023, 05:46:10 AM »
Hi Edgar,

Just wanted to say thank you for the insight and willingness to share how it works. I knew CSM are a small company, but wow for such few people you do amazing work!
I just got the Caudron and am really impressed with the quality and details! Bristol Scout and a Nieuport will be added to my stash for sure!

I did build a1ZM(i) Armored Car and really enjoyed it too!
//Ben

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2023, 03:50:04 AM »
Hi all,
I just hope that CSM can see some of these aircraft models through to production.
The Hansa-Brandenburg D.I 'Star Strutter' is still, it seems, a lower priority.
Also the Caudron G-IV was first muted here on the forum by Edgar back in March 2016,

Mike

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=7029.0

Offline Europapete

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2023, 11:55:40 PM »
Am half way through the Caudron G3, and it is an AWESOME kit. I have 5/6 CSM kits in the stash, keep up the good work Edgar. Regards, Pete in RI