Author Topic: Albatros D.V 1/32 Wingnut Wings  (Read 2462 times)

Online AngryJazz

Re: Albatros D.V 1/32 Wingnut Wings
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2023, 05:31:46 AM »
I am not sure where to start  :o First it looks like you figured out a better photo posting Method! Your pre shading worked a Treat! Lovely results and I Like the colors. I am really enjoying this "Light Speed" build  8)
RAGIII

Haha thanks RAGIII  :)

It will definitely slow down a bit now while i wait for my parts to arrive(mono line).

I sometimes use my photobox for pictures, but it is a bit of a hassle to set up but the background is nicer. 
I could use a few tips and tricks for taking proper pictures and adjusting the colors and background  :)
//Ben

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2023, 09:24:43 AM »
I love your work on the propellers, they are gorgeous!
Zac in NZ

Offline RichieW

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2023, 06:25:37 AM »
Those props look spot on. I thought you'd carved them from wood after the first quick glance. For me the Albatros DV is one of the most beautiful of all WW1 types and this is going to be a particularly lovely model of it.

Richie

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2023, 05:45:11 AM »
Absolutely brilliant work so far. And I really like the scheme you're doing - this should turn out beautifully as you continue to complete this model.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2023, 07:10:48 AM »
Great work on your Albatros.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2023, 10:33:49 PM »
Incredible work.  I like the mottling technique you used and the weathering on the underside.  Your props are very convincing as well.  Really enjoying your posts.

All the best,
Tim

Online AngryJazz

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2023, 05:32:39 AM »
Thank you all for the kind words and warm welcome  :)

I finally got my black mono line delivered and got a few hours of work in after the kids were put to bed.
Took a lot of practice, re drilling and maybe a bit of swearing.... But im getting the hang of the rigging.
Soon the top wing is ready to be installed  ;D

//Ben

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2023, 07:03:23 PM »
Great start Ben! As someone contemplating rigging other than elastic, it's very interesting to see your process.
Zac in NZ

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2023, 08:33:10 AM »
Excellent choice of kit and excellent results so far!

Steve

Offline RichieW

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2023, 08:25:07 AM »
Looking super, I'm sure the rigging will go fine and you will soon have a stunning model to show us.

Richie

Online AngryJazz

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2023, 05:42:59 AM »
Thanks Zac - I used Ammo EZ line in the cockpit but found it to curl up a lot and make things harder. This new mono line seems to be easier to control for me  :)

Thanks Steve! I have asked myself a few times if it would have been better with a practice kit since I made quite a few mistakes.

Thank you Richie  :)

Soo an update on the rigging and the model.

Sorry but this is a story about me complaining about my lack of experience with WW1. However i'm still learning and enjoying the model. Just had a bit of bad luck here at the end of the build.

Rigging...

Honestly it's not my proudest work, but i'm happy to have it done (mostly). I had trouble with eyelets and turnbuckles being pulled out. Thought my pull test on them was good enough, turns out I need to do better at my preparations (drilling, eyelet length and amount of CA).
Worst was the Albatros turnbuckles. They just kept snapping the ca glue and being pulled out. I had mistakenly not drilled and glued them in before I stated rigging. I thought i would be able to align them with the rigging line on and glue them into place  :-\
So in the end i used more ca than i would have liked and they are not perfect in line with the rigging line.... but they are done.
Lessons learned for my next build  ;)

Also the 4 lines in front of the windshield had to go. Long story short - the EZ line I had used for the internal rigging - wasn't working for me. Hanging mono lines down just looked wrong.

Another mistake I made was mounting the landing gear the wrong way around... Stupid mistake since I looked so many times at the manual  ::)
Anyways managed to pop the gear off and do everything (including rigging) over again.

Oh and I dropped some glue when installing the radiator pipes - it ate away the paint  ::)
I will attempt a repair or make it into a interesting stain / leak from the radiator.

Enough rambling... Here's some pictures!

My gule accident. Lucky it was on the underside.

//Ben

Offline Davos522

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2023, 10:20:18 AM »
What a gorgeous build... love that color scheme! The Albatrosen have always been one of my favorites.

The more time I spend on this forum the more I'm regretting having missed the whole WnW show. I really didn't get back into modeling until just before the pandemic, and when I finally decided I'd better try one and see what the fuss was about I was literally  a week too late! :-/

Dave V.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2023, 05:34:35 PM »
Beautiful work Ben - new to WW1? You fooled me!
Zac in NZ

Offline Borsos

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2023, 11:07:56 PM »
That’s a very nice Albatros, one to be very proud of. The tiny flaws are hardly recognized!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2023, 02:58:40 AM »
Despite your troubles Ben this Albatros looks really fine. As always these kits are a learning curve, and I found the rigging on the Albatros D.V and D.Va kits quite a challenge in certain spots. Your weathering looks absolutely superb, by the way. Including that coolant stain  ;) Looking forward to seeing your final results!
Cheers,
Gary