Author Topic: Completed - Eduard 8113 Albatros DV  (Read 1845 times)

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
Completed - Eduard 8113 Albatros DV
« on: June 24, 2023, 05:49:02 PM »
Hi all – here’s my latest completion, the Eduard 1/48 Albatros D.V.

I started this one back in August last year.  Up front, I want to state that this is a build of a kit provided free to the forum by Eduard as one of our sponsors (and many thanks again to them for the kit). As a kit provided by a sponsor, i'll state that I did not pay for the kit personally, though I did pay for some of the bits and bobs added along the way.

For those following along with the build log (here - https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=13255.0), you'll have seen that this one had a couple of modifications.

I scratch built a number of internal details, including internal frames, a fuel tank, a compass, and other instruments. Details were added to the engine to better replicate the Mercedes D.III engine used on early DVs. Belts and other bits and bobs were also added inside. One of the enduring criticisms of the Eduard Albatros DV is the kit’s short undercarriage legs; accordingly, I replaced these with some resin aftermarket legs (I can’t remember who they are from, as I bought them a number of years back, but they were a bit rough). I also replaced the kit spinner with a home made vacform item, as the kit spinner is also too rounded and bulbous. I also hand-riveted the nails on the fuselage. Rigging is elastic, with “bob’s buckles” turnbuckles and sleeves. The exhaust pipe is a Rex metal item.

The machine is painted in the markings of an early DV, D.2164/17, flown by 27 victory ace Karl Thom when he flew with Jasta 21, around June 1917. Thom would eventually earn the Pour le Merite, or “Blue Max”, on 01 November 1918, being one of the last aviation recipients of this revered award. Paint was a combination of oil paints for the fuselage, and SMS acrylic lacquers for the other colours (most were my own mix), and the decals from Eduard’s earlier 1124 dual combo boxing. Enough talk, here’s some pics:

And for those that don't want to dig through the entire build log, here's some pics of the interior / modifications:

This kit has been a stalwart of Eduard's WW1 line up for 20 or so years, and she still builds up as the best 1/48 DV on the market today. The kit's relative simplicity when it comes to struts and rigging also makes it a great kit for someone cutting their teeth on 1/48 WW1 models.

Thanks for looking, and many thanks for those that provided encouragement and kind words along the way – feedback / tips always welcomed!

Cheers,

BC
Owner and Administrator
forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Re: Completed - Eduard 8113 Albatros DV
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2023, 06:12:44 PM »
It is a spectacular model Brad. Lovely wood rendition and delicate shading, and finely detailed. Top class!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2023, 06:22:24 PM »
Many thanks Prze! I am certainly very humbled to receive such kind words from someone of your immense skills  :) :)

Thank you again, sir!

BC
Owner and Administrator

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2023, 08:41:38 PM »
Wholeheartedly agree with Prze. Just an excellent example of an Albatros. You have really captured the beauty of this graceful aircraft.

Tim

Offline William Adair

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2023, 09:13:10 PM »
I would never have thought this was only 1/48 scale and thought it was much larger. It looks fantastic.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2023, 02:45:11 AM »
As always I enjoyed watching you take some plastic parts and turn them into a Piece of Art! One of the best Albatros DV's I have seen in any scale. Your colors and painting are awesome!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2023, 06:57:46 AM »
Many thanks for your kind words Tim, William and Rick! I am certainly humbled :)

Cheers,

BC
Owner and Administrator

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2023, 08:11:51 AM »
Heavens, Brad...that's a beauty.  Then I looked at your website.  Jaw is still on the floor and making conversation difficult.

Lovely work...Dan

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2023, 08:16:39 AM »
The wood finish on the fuselage is truly spectacular and worth the strains and effort. In all an outstanding model - one of the best of the type that I have seen.

Stephen.

Offline DaveB

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2023, 06:14:00 PM »
Brad,

This really is top class work all round - your simulated wooden fuselage is very noteworthy.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2023, 06:22:33 PM »
Many thanks Dan, Stephen and Dave! I am heartened to hear that my efforts on the fuselage finish have hit around the right mark. Very pleased to get this one done, and itching to do another some time soon :)

Cheers again,

BC
Owner and Administrator

Online macsporran

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2023, 01:32:43 AM »
Lovely model, Brad, the woodwork is really eye-catching. You've got exactly the right powerful stance of a purposeful Alb!

(20 years you say, Oh my goodness it seems like yesterday I was relishing these new-process Eduard kits over the old short-run SS D.III, Baby, Starstrutter, Alb C.III etc!)
Sandy

Offline Borsos

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2023, 04:38:23 AM »
That’s a nice one! Great woodgrain and nice finish overall.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Egilman

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2023, 04:39:56 AM »
A beautiful Albatross, hopefully if I hang around long enough I will be able to build something that will only resemble that....

Very well done!!!!

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2023, 09:27:03 PM »
Another beauty built to the Cancian standard.
The wood grain is excellent and the nail heads really set it off!