Author Topic: Hasegawa 1/32nd scale Ki 43: Chipping and Layering Experiment  (Read 1811 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Hasegawa 1/32nd scale Ki 43: Chipping and Layering Experiment
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2023, 05:12:31 AM »
Looks great. Did you use the hairspray method or one of the chipping fluids?

Steve

Thanks Steve, and Yes I used Hairspray.
RAGIII

This one was a practice run for one of these :

...but in 1/72nd scale.
An Oscar? Fantastic. A G.50? Be still, my beating heart!!

Thanks Zac. Yes a G50bis!
RAGIII

A very fine chipping on a nice Japanese land-based aircraft!
I‘ve never seen such heavily chipped G-50, do you know what happened there?
Andreas

Thanks Andreas. I am not sure why the heavy chipping occurred other than I have read that Italian Paint Adhesion was amongst the worse ! As there are two in the photo it was certainly common in this unit! One of them is actually the Commander of the unit! There is also a rear view photo in the old Regia Aeronautica book by Squadron. It shows that there was also heavy chipping on the wings.
RAGIII

I also like the WW2 Japanese aircraft, Rick -

You've really effectively caught the look of the weathered/chipped paintwork - well done, mate!

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave!
RAGIII

New techniques very successfully mastered.
(Now come back to biplanes!)
Sandy

Thanks Sandy and I will return to biplanes once I can manage a Roden Sopwith Strutter!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2023, 02:41:08 AM »
I am not sure why the heavy chipping occurred other than I have read that Italian Paint Adhesion was amongst the worse ! As there are two in the photo it was certainly common in this unit! One of them is actually the Commander of the unit! There is also a rear view photo in the old Regia Aeronautica book by Squadron. It shows that there was also heavy chipping on the wings.
RAGIII

Very interesting, many thanks Rick!
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline WD

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2023, 11:33:49 PM »
Rick,
       That is stunningly awesome my friend! When applying your hairspray, did you do it straight from the can/bottle? Or did you decant it somehow?

Also, what type of hairspray did you use? (Yes, it does make a difference as sometimes the formula can vary between brands.)

Warren

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2023, 01:55:58 AM »
Rick,
       That is stunningly awesome my friend! When applying your hairspray, did you do it straight from the can/bottle? Or did you decant it somehow?

Also, what type of hairspray did you use? (Yes, it does make a difference as sometimes the formula can vary between brands.)

Warren

Thanks Warren. This is the one I used. A Pump so No big deal Decanting. In this case I poured some in My Airbrush cup and sprayed the whole upper surfaces. With smaller 1/72nd kits I have been using a brush.
RAGIII

Offline Davos522

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2023, 12:24:30 PM »
That is one stunning Oscar. And the funny thing is that compared to many Japanese a/c as the war went on, it's really only lightly weathered...

I’ve used the technique on a PzKpfw II in winter whitewash camo and found it tremendously useful. And I won't even make any bad jokes about how you can always drink the hairspray if your paint job goes South on you.

Dave V.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2023, 02:00:45 AM »
That is one stunning Oscar. And the funny thing is that compared to many Japanese a/c as the war went on, it's really only lightly weathered...

I’ve used the technique on a PzKpfw II in winter whitewash camo and found it tremendously useful. And I won't even make any bad jokes about how you can always drink the hairspray if your paint job goes South on you.

Dave V.

Thanks for Dropping in and the Comment! Yes lots of Japanese aircraft were Heavily chipped and beat up near the end!
RAGIII

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2023, 11:12:41 PM »
Nicely done Amigo !

ED
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2023, 02:11:11 AM »
Nicely done Amigo !

ED

Thanks Amigo! It won't win any contests but I kind of like it  ::)
RAGIII