Author Topic: Hello From (New) England  (Read 981 times)

Offline Davos522

Hello From (New) England
« on: June 12, 2023, 11:10:10 PM »
Hello All

Finally getting around to my first post, four years after registering for the forum. By way of introduction I should probably mention that I was a 20-year-plus member of the late WWI Modeler’s Mailing List, and I’m sure I know some of you from that community (I was Dave No. 11, I think) . In fact, my long-time and greatly missed friend from the WWIMML Steven Perry actually got me to sign up for this group back in 2019.

Having always built 1/48, I missed the whole WNW show due to a long hiatus from modeling. But I thought I'd try a 1/32 kit for a change (my fingers don’t seem to work quite as well as they used to), and recently ordered an Amodel N.16 from overseas which should be here in a few weeks. Older, cheaper kit that I won't feel bad about hacking to bits—I tend to scratchbuild a lot of parts. I’ve been reading through the build logs for them here (as well as the Special Hobby version), and making careful notes.

Looking forward to poking myself with XActo knives and .3mm tubing again…

All best,

Dave Vosburgh
Sheffield, Masachusetts, USA

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: Hello From (New) England
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2023, 12:19:03 AM »
Better late than never. Welcome to the forum (again).

Steve

Offline IanB

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2023, 02:52:49 AM »
Welcome aboard from an ex-Cape Codder.
Now in UAE so I won't be attending any of the local shows unfortunately.

Ian

Offline Davos522

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2023, 11:11:39 PM »
Thanks, Steve & Ian. Amusing myself while waiting for the N.16 to arrive by carving some test Levasseur props out of a) a stack of glued-up veneer, b) a blank of Honduran mahogany, and c) ditto one of walnut. And wow! Things are way easier in 1:32! :-D

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2023, 01:56:20 AM »
   Welcome back Dave and I'm looking forward to your contributions. I too switched to 1:32 Scale from 1:48 when age "made my fingers thicker and eyes weaker" and you'll enjoy the new experience it brings. I carve my own props as well and after doing them in the smaller scale can only agree with your comment!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Davos522

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2023, 02:59:15 AM »
Thanks, Lance, still feeling my way around the forum and just stumbled on your thread about carving props, looking forward to going through it in depth tonight!

Dave

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2023, 04:35:23 AM »
Dave,
   The Article is somewhat dated; I've gone to a mainly manual method carving with a #11 blade and hand sanding with a little help from a Dremel just close to the hub. I should really update it. Despite the extra time aspect I now enjoy the task as one of my favorite parts of the Build and I find the results very gratifying.

Cheers,
Lance

Offline Davos522

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2023, 10:47:29 AM »
Beautiful, Lance... I worked on my first blank tonight, which I knew was going to be a waster because I haven't carved a prop in about twenty-five years. And great minds think alike; I actually roughed it out with a #11 blade and used my wife's cheesy Chinese manicure Dremel to refine the hub. It came out looking like really small beavers had been gnawing at it, but hey, that's why I made up multiple blanks!

All best,

Dave V.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2023, 12:57:25 PM »
HA! That's why I always start with 3 or 4 blanks! Good luck and looking forward to seeing the results.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2023, 08:53:41 PM »
Welcome (back) Dave!
Zac in NZ

Offline Davos522

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2023, 10:35:05 PM »
Thank you, Zac! Really enjoying the Forum. Wish now I’d joined up before Des went West, he sounded like an amazing guy.

All best,

D.V.