Modelers Lounge > How's it going?

Apologies for my sillence

(1/5) > >>

Dave W:
  Hi folks

Apologies for my lack of forum activity over the past five months but I have been dealing with a health crisis that paralysed me. I have been in hospital since November 2022 and am undergoing intensive rehabilitation.

I have been in the hospital for the past five months after being struck down by the rare autoimmune condition Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP)  an acquired autoimmune disease of the peripheral nervous system characterized by progressive weakness and impaired sensory function in the legs and arms.

The condition caused almost total paralysis And I have spent the past five months in rehabilitation regaining control of the upper body and especially of my arms . I am unable to walk and will probably spend the rest of my days in a wheelchair but I am reactivating again and all have numerous projects which I wish to complete. I thought my modelling days were finished but thanks to the physiotherapists it looks like I will be able to get back to the bench one day.

During my absence the forum has continued to grow and Flourish thanks to the magnificent work of our global moderators  Brad, Lance and Zac. My sincere thanks to them.  Our forum is in good heart and the future looks good.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

macsporran:
Dave
I think we were all worried about your silence for so long, so firstly let me say that it's terrible to hear what you've been through (and we are all rooting for you,) but it's really good to hear that things have hopefully turned a corner and you're gradually getting use and facility of your faculties back. Quickly may it continue.

I was diagnosed with a similar neuropathy (although nowhere near as severe by the sound of it) and my neurology consultant started me on a course of iVig transfusions where the immuno component of healthy blood plasma replaces my own defective cells. The problem is it is very expensive and this is where our wonderful UK National Health Service takes the strain. I'm sure it will have been considered for your goodself but maybe worth asking about iVig (given expense considerations.) Anyway sorry if I've maybe mentioned something not relevant for your case.

It's good to hear you're getting through this and modelling is appearing somewhere on the horizon - maybe in the meantime we'll have to elect you our chief librarian and font of all knowledge of all things WWI, and use you as a central resource!

God speed to you, my friend.
Sandy

rhwinter:
Dave, it's good to have you back here!! Greetings and best wishes for your health,
Richard (from across the Channel)

drdave:
So sorry to hear that Dave.

Dave W:
Thanks for the kind thoughts folks.

Sandy: I had a course of IVIGs back in February but they did not work. I was then changed to a course of plasma replacements similar to dialysis. This has been the miracle breakthrough and allowed my arms to reactivate.

I have now had two months of plasma replacements and coupled with physiotherapy and occupational therapy activities I'm beginning to reclaim my life.

Throughout this ordeal the forum has been my lifesaver keeping me focused and motivating me to get well and get back to modelling. It's the support of people like our  forum family that drive me to get well again.

My sincere thanks to everyone

Cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version