Author Topic: Nieuport 21 N2453 - Donat Makijonek - 7 IAO spring 1917 - CSM 1/32  (Read 8449 times)

Offline Boch

Hello,

I'd like to say hello to everyone. This is my first post on this forum. So far, I've made only a few models from the period of World War II, to be precise, all five, although all in 1/32 scale. Therefore, I am a beginner modeller, and this forum is recommended as the best on the subject of the beginning of aviation, so I decided to present the construction of the first model from this period. I am preparing for a large project related to World War I machines and gaining experience.

For some time I have been preparing to expand the scope of modeling activities. The period of the Great War became for me not so much a goal as a stop for further travel, but before I talk about where this journey is to end, I will stop at the fronts of the Great War, at least for some time.

Donat Makijonek is an extraordinary character, so unusual that without a doubt the life and activity of this pilot deserves at least a few models. This time, however, I will focus on the second period of his aviation career, of course calculated in a completely conventional way. A Pole in the service of the tsar, he was one of the thousands of Poles for whom the outbreak of war marked a new reality in the armies of the partitioning powers. From the end of the 18th century, Poland was erased from the map. Torn and divided by Prussia, Russia and Austria. The outbreak of war often meant a fratricidal fight between Poles incorporated by force into foreign armies. The tragedy of the Polish nation will have an unusual finale in the very life of Makijonek.

Sebastian Łydżba

As you can easily guess, Makijonek finally went to fighter aviation and this is the period the miniature will refer to. I will not present the full profile of the pilot now, there will be time for that during construction and of course in the final gallery. During the next posts, based on the sources that I have managed to gather, I will present Makijonek's silhouette and his biography to those interested. At the moment, I will write only the most important few pieces of information.

Donat Makijonek served as a fighter pilot in the 7th Istrebitielny Avia Otriad (7th IAO) under the command of Ivan Orlov. It is the period of service in this unit that brings him the greatest fame and achievements. He is considered the most effective Pole in the Tsar's service, and the number of victories varies slightly depending on the sources. Most often, however, 8 is assumed. Throughout his aviation career, he made nearly 600 flights. From the moment of service in the fighter unit, he flew the Nieuport 21 with the number 2453 and won the most victories on it, it will also become a modeling subject. It is known that in the last phase of service in the 7th IAO he also flew version 17, which led to various misunderstandings in the development. The example below shows one such error. Almost certainly the Nieuport with "Polonia" is version 21, equipped with a full cowl and a rather unusual propeller cap. According to the photos, it is clearly a hubcap, not a "cone de penetration" typical for Nieuports.

The life story of this pilot and his achievements, as I mentioned earlier, will be presented on an ongoing basis on the occasion of subsequent posts. I treat the model as an introduction to a larger work that I have planned as soon as I finish this Nieuport, and because this type of aircraft requires slightly different skills and approach, I treat it as blazing the trail. Thus, the started P-11 will wait at least a year. Earlier, I put together a quick camel to test wood painting techniques, building heads and a few other issues.

I will rely on quite a wide literature, I managed to collect a lot of books, newspapers, magazines and articles. I won't list them all because it's too much. I have Russian, Polish, but also Finnish and English sources. Unfortunately, already at this stage I see discrepancies in the information about this period of Makijonk's life and the planes he flew. The differences are also about painting. I will describe any ambiguities, maybe someone interested with more knowledge than me will want to supplement some information. Whether you like it or not, you have to make a decision, which is why I'm posting a painting scheme, which will be the starting point for building the model. This is probably the most correctly rendered painting, although as I wrote earlier there are some doubts.

Since the Makijonek's Nieuport 21 from the outside was almost no different from the 17 version, I will use the Nieuport XVII late from the Copper State Model in 1/32 scale. In addition, as support will be Niweuport XXI Russian Service of the same company and scale. I plan to use chemistry mainly AK (RC+oils), including Tamyia, Gunze. The decals are made to order. The propeller cap will also be made, but it will be time to write about it. Resin add-ons and metal screws by Gaspatch, 3D printed engine. If anything else comes up in the meantime, I'll be sure to let you know.

I start with the cockpit.

Best Regards
Lukasz
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 04:20:08 PM by Boch »

Offline Radarman

Re: Nieuport 21 N2453 - Donat Makijonek - 7 IAO wiosna 1917 - CSM 1/32
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 11:00:26 PM »
Lukasz,
You've made a great start on this build. I will enjoy following your progress.
We can never have too many Nieuports here.

Happy Modeling,
                                                     Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 11:00:38 PM »
For a first WWI model this is an awesome start! You've obviously done other subject matter to have this kind of ability!

Steve

Offline Boch

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 11:34:51 PM »
Thank you for the kind words. I'm sure I'll find a lot of inspiration here.

Offline Boch

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2023, 07:37:20 AM »
The hull allows you to build an open version and I must admit that the case is tempting. For sure, with the next planned Nieuports, I will decide to make internal strings and route the lines to control the tail. In the meantime, however, I decided not to add to the already huge amount of challenges. Anyway, I painted the hull from the inside, for practice and peace of mind.

Regards

Lukasz

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2023, 10:32:36 AM »
Welcome Lukasz. Your first WWI build is looking wonderful.  It’s apparent you’re not new to modeling and are applying your skills here.  Excellent subject choice. I’ll follow with keen interest.

All the best,
Tim

Offline Boch

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2023, 02:34:24 AM »
Thank you very much.

Before we get to know the story of Makijonek, I have to explain to you roughly what situation Poland was in, or rather the lands and people of Polish nationality, because there was no country in the sense of an independent state at that time.

Exactly in 1795, the so-called "third partition" of Poland takes place. Neighboring powers - Prussia, Austria and Russia are annihilating independent Poland, of course in cooperation with each other. Over 100 years of torture of the Polish nation begins. This period is by no means a time of passive acceptance of Poles. There are outbursts, there are many of them. The first erupt before the complete destruction of independence, the Kosciuszko Insurrection. Later, the most important uprisings are the fight alongside Napoleon, "November Uprising", "Spring of Nations", "January Uprising, "Revolution of 1905" and a few more can be mentioned. The Polish nation is destroyed and eliminated. Tradition, history, language are destroyed, music and all manifestations of Polishness. The greatest repressions take place in the Prussian and Russian partitions. Polish youth are forcibly conscripted into the army, Polish patriots are sent to penal colonies and to distant Siberia. People are tortured and persecuted, sentenced to death and exile. in a period of terror and extraordinary suffering, the spirit in Poles does not die. Patriotism and tradition are secretly nurtured. Mickiewicz, Słowacki are read. Chopin is played. Children are told about the power of the Piast and Jagiellonian dynasties, about uprisings against the hated invaders.

It is in such an atmosphere, in a period of particularly severe repression after the defeat of the "January Uprising" in the years 1863-1865, that our hero is born.

He was born in the village of Tambowka near Vitebsk, in a patriotic family of Polish peasants, on May 19 or 14 (depending on the elaboration) in 1891. The son of Adam and Anna Juchniewicz. He began his education at a craftsman's church school, where the teaching cycle was based on a 4-grade form, and then went to the Technical Agricultural Vocational School in Vitebsk, where the education lasted 6 years. Father had a farm and probably such a fate and career was seen for young Donat. How fate and history were to change these plans. After graduating from school, he took a job at the "Salamandra" factory in Riga. On November 20, 1911, as part of forced conscription, he joins the tsarist army. He becomes a private in the 97th Liwland Infantry Regiment. On May 15, 1912, he was transferred to the Ufim Infantry Regiment. Just 8 years earlier, man had taken to the air for the first time, and now, in 1911, the great powers were beginning to form the first military air force. The situation in Europe became more tense with each passing month. The system of alliances kept the great of this world in check, but it did not stop the huge armaments. Aviation was a chance to break out of the gray mass of soldiers. Makijonek reports immediately and, to his great satisfaction, is assigned to train as a mechanic's assistant. He was assessed as a talented and enthusiastic man, which resulted in completing the course with honors in 1912. This is how our hero ends up in unit 3 KAO (Corporate Aviaotriad) as an aircraft mechanic. During the service, he takes personal care of the commander's machine, and after some time he receives permission for a piloting course. On June 10, 1912, he begins piloting studies at the Sevastopol Aviation School on the Nieuport 4 aircraft. On February 1, 1914, he receives pilot diploma No. 230, and on March 7, 1914 he receives military pilot license No. 239 and the rank of sergeant.

The armchair is basically ready, maybe some slight adjustments on the straps and we can assemble it to the whole.

Regards
Lukasz

Offline Radarman

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2023, 03:04:49 AM »
I look forward to the next chapter of the story. The seat looks great.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline Boch

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2023, 05:14:02 AM »
Thanks Kevin

Meanwhile, after more than two weeks, I'm reaching the end of the cockpit. I have to admit that building this type of structure is very satisfying. There are still a few parts left and time for bigger pieces.

Regards
Lukasz

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2023, 06:59:14 AM »
A fascinating and engrossing history lesson combined with a magnificent model - Lukasz, you are most welcome here and I for one am on edge awaiting your next update!
Zac in NZ

Offline Boch

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2023, 06:24:00 PM »
Thanks  :)

Offline Boch

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2023, 08:11:18 PM »
A small update, but important enough that the cockpit has been completed. A drum for an empty ammunition belt, a bulkhead and some reinforcements of the cage have arrived. Add some minor touch-ups with a brush and im ready to go ahead.
With the next update, there will be a further story about Makijonek. See you then.

Regards
Lukasz

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2023, 09:24:38 PM »
What a beauty in the making. The cockpit looks so much realistic. I am in awe.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline FAf

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2023, 09:27:28 PM »

I agree...
/Fredrik

Offline Boch

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2023, 09:39:11 PM »

Thank you Przemek. I've looked at your work countless times, many of them bookmarked as favorites in my browser. It is a great honor for me that you like my work. ;)

I agree...
/Fredrik

Thanks  :)