Author Topic: RFC/RAF Cockade Blue Color  (Read 823 times)

Offline Rick_H

RFC/RAF Cockade Blue Color
« on: August 17, 2023, 02:32:36 PM »
Here I am with another question that was probably resolved many years ago, while I was away.

The Microscale 1/72 sheet of cockades uses (used?) a very light shade of blue.  I was told that was correct for early RFC, or perhaps 1920's RAF aircraft.  It seems now that the standard is a darker blue for all eras.

Can anybody get me up to date?  Were there different shades of blue for different eras and is the Microscale sheet accurate for anything?
Thanks,
Rick in Seattle

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: RFC/RAF Cockade Blue Color
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2023, 03:31:13 PM »
is the Microscale sheet accurate for anything?

Short answer -- probably not.

Orthographic film seems to have confused many artists/ decal makers etc. as to the value of blue used in markings (among other things). RFC roundel blue was a dark shade.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2023, 04:50:20 PM »
However don't dismiss the effect of strong French sunshine on pigmented dope.

You know what happens if you leave a book spine, or even a decal sheet, exposed to bright sunlight - extreme fading.

Having had many summer holidays all across La Belle France and all the areas of the Western Front I can attest that a dark fabric baseball cap fades within a few days. Go figure what happens to a fabric aeroplane sitting/flying in same sunshine all day.

In other words don't believe anybody who tells you definitively that they know what colour RFC roundel blue should be on any machine more than a week or so in service in any of the hotter months on the WF.

My tuppence
Sandy

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2023, 09:40:37 PM »
You know what happens if you leave a book spine, or even a decal sheet, exposed to bright sunlight - extreme fading.

Point taken, although that wasn’t exactly the OPs question …

Offline macsporran

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2023, 01:16:16 AM »
Point taken, although that wasn’t exactly the OPs question …

Says who?
The question of faded colours is perfectly relevant to the OP's question.
It is sensible to draw the conclusion that before the advent of protective coatings PC10/12 and stronger clear varnishes, less attention was paid to the effect of strong sunlight on fabric and early war machines CDL and national markings would be lighter after a short time in the field.

I attach a picture of a pair of my shorts, worn from new, on the Loire for a week earlier this year.
Under the fold the back panel is the original mid blue, the front panel shows the effect of the sun, exactly as I believe would have happened a century ago.

I'll always build early CDL RFC aircraft with lighter roundels for this reason.

Please don't tell me I am wrong Mr Colour Policeman - unless you are prepared to show us the colour of your pants too! :) :)
Sandy

Offline Rick_H

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2023, 05:40:38 PM »
Gentlemen,
I really appreciate both of your perspectives.  With my other modeling hat, I build 1/700 ships and I always consider fading, balanced against the "factory" color.

So I hear that the factory RFC color was a darker blue and it possibly would have faded to a paler blue on a bird that lasted a few months over the field. 

So those Microscale decals won't be all that handy for planes that may not have lasted long.

Thank you very much!
Rick in Seattle