WW1 Aircraft Modeling > Under Construction

1:32nd scale Bristol Scout C

(1/35) > >>

Mike Norris:
Hi all,
As my build of the Hannover Cl.II is drawing to a close, I'm starting research for my next build.
This will be the 'Copper State Models' Bristol Scout C.
The aircraft I intend to build is Scout serial number 1260 (not a kit scheme).

Bristol Scout C, serial number 1260 was one of a batch of 24 aircraft built under contract CP 67209/14 (serials 1243 to 1266).
This aircraft was delivered to Eastchurch on the 4th of July 1915 and was officially accepted a week later.
It was at St Pol for a few days before joining No.5 Wing at Dover on the 13th of August for Home Defence.
On the 24th of January 1916 and the 9th of February, it was flown by Flt. Sub. Lt. R.F.S Leslie to defend against enemy seaplanes that were attacking Folkstone, Dover, Broadstairs and Ramsgate.
The aircraft required repairs after it overturned on the 29th of June, but was damaged beyond repair on the 10th of August and written off on the 4th of September 1916.
The Bristol Scouts had various armament fitted, which included Lewis machine guns mounted obliquely on one or both sides of the fuselage.
Also forward facing on the top forward fuselage decking or forward facing on the upper wing.
During one period, 1260 had a Lewis machine gun fitted on the top forward fuselage decking.
It seems strange therefore that this aircraft was not fitted with any form of synchronising mechanism to stop fired rounds hitting the rotating propeller.
Evidence of this can be seen on similar period Scouts with this armament fitted, by wrappings around the propeller blades that were aligned with the muzzle of the machine gun.

Mike

RichieW:
I'm very much looking forward to seeing this one Mike. Have fun with i, I know you will  do 'Bunny' Bremner proud.

Richie

Mike Norris:

--- Quote from: RichieW on April 16, 2023, 06:51:14 AM ---I'm very much looking forward to seeing this one Mike. Have fun with i, I know you will  do 'Bunny' Bremner proud.

Richie

--- End quote ---
Hi Richie,
The 'Bunny' Bremner build will be after this one.
This one is for me and to check it out for the 'Bunny' build,

Mike

FAf:
I'm really looking forward to this! This is a kit I really want, but haven't gotten yet. Maybe you will 'force' me to buy one?! 🙂

/Fredrik

pepperman42:
Will watch closely.

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version