Author Topic: An airplane that frequently tried to kill its pilot (Aviatik „Berg“ D. I, 1:32)  (Read 7158 times)

Offline Boch

The whole thing looks great. I can really learn a lot from you. Thank you for presenting this workshop.

Lukasz

Offline RichieW

I love seeing how thoroughly you prepare everything Andreas. I'm learning a lot about different glues and precise assembly from this build.

Richie

Offline RAGIII

Although there seems to be lots of corrections and basic assembly needs I think you are Beating it into submission! Well done to date!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

Thank you all very much, Gary, Przemo, Steve, PJ, Lukasz, Richie and Rick, for your kind words of support!

PJ, I completely agree, it could also be Pressstoff or any other kind of Ersatzstoffe they had to use in 1918.

Steve, yes, it's brass tubing with wire core, squeezed by my Albion Alloys Strutter. This time these struts aren't quite flat, because I am running out of brass piping and I had only very thin pipes left. I used to use Albion Alloys products but they are hard to get here these days so I ordered some AK brass tubes in various sizes. And what shall I say? They just suck. They are almost solid and only give room for a 0,3 mm wire core. No way to make struts with them. Therefore I need to go on with what I have left from AA. I sanded them flat with sanding sticks.

When I build a model that is no WNW (or Copper State) kit, I test fit all maior components before the detailing and painting phase of the build. I simply want to know if the final product resembles the original or if the proportions just aren't right. I think they are with this kit, what do you think? I pinned all flying surfaces with 0.3 wire onto the fuselage. I am using the kit's landing gear struts as they fit quite nicely, but what I dislike are the wheels from the kit. I replaced them with a pair of Roden's Albatros wheels that fit the scale pland of the Berg fighter perfectly (I'll regret that when I build that Albatros...)

I attached the wheels with masking fluid. Seconds after taking these pictures, they broke off...

... because there actually is a difference in weight between plastic and resin kits.

What is also visible in these photos is that there needs to be some redetailing of the tail surfaces as the ribs are completely wrong located. The ribs on the elevators should lign up with those on the tailplane. Also the rudder is a little too long to fit the fin propperly
Best regards,
Andreas
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 01:31:53 AM by Borsos »
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RichieW

This is the attention to detail and careful preparation that makes you the world class model maker you are. I look forward to seeing how you carry out the alterations to rib alignment.

Richie

Offline Borsos

Thank you very much, Richie! You are too kind!

At first I went with the fuselage and added details that are made of PE parts. I only added those which are covered by the hexagon camouflage. I‘ll add the rest after painting.

I am keen on seeing this under a coat of primer. Some sanding here and there (I can see more imperfections on the photos than I had been able to see on the real thing) and on to the wings… and the rib alignment.
Best regards,

Andreas

Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

Awesome work Andreas! You are turning a challenging kit into a Beauty! Photos can be another tool to find things needing attention and I am sure you will correct any SMALL imperfections!
RAGIII

Offline xan

Hi Borsos,
The beginning is fantastic.
Great work on wooden effect and the seat's leather is just amazing, really!
Congratulations!
Xan
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Online Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
Looking really nice with all the exterior details. I’m eagerly anticipating the “lozenge “ painting. 

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Lovely details on the fuselage. Great job, Andreas!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline gedmundson

Excellent work, Andreas.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline RichieW

I always find photos show there is more work to do. It'll be well worth it once you see a lovely smooth coat of primer.

Richie

Offline Borsos

Thank you so much, Rick, Xan, Tim, Przemo, Gary and Richie!

It’s been a while as work, everyday life and some days on holiday hold me off the bench. Now I am happily at home with an annoying cold that forces me to drink horrible herbal teas and took away my voice almost entirely.

Well… all the parts are primed, sanded again and covered with the first hexagon color — AK Real Color’s pale sand. Now it’s jigsaw time!

The flying surfaces are covered quite easily, one only need to keep symmetry. The fuselage is going to be another story…
Best regards

Andreas
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

Nice progress Andreas. I am looking forward to seeing your bird with the masks removed  8)
RAGIII

Offline Borsos

Thank you, Rick! Here you are:

And that’s how it looked like shortly after removing all the masks. What followed were some touch ups here and there, carefull sanding with an abrassive fleece between the color layers and some toning down and mottling with tinted clears and PE masks.

What I learned from this excessive painting process? Decals are great  :)

Andreas
Barbusse.
Remarque.