Author Topic: An airplane that frequently tried to kill its pilot (Aviatik „Berg“ D. I, 1:32)  (Read 7146 times)

Offline Edo

hey Andreas! thank you for the info on the seatbelts!
you engine seemscready to crank up.... it is a pity to close it between the fusolage....
ciao
edo

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Amazing work! A credit to the kit and your careful workmanship that everything went together well.

Steve

Online FAf

Great work! What a relief that the fuselage halves joined over the engine. /Fredrik

Offline lone modeller

I am with the others - this is truly spectacular modelling, but I think that it proves my point about leaving structures visible on finished models. All of that wonderful detail, especially the engine, is now hidden and simply cannot be appreciated by anyone looking at the model.

Stephen.

Online RAGIII

Lovely painting and added details Andreas! That seat is simply Amazing!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online Borsos

Thank you very much for your kind and motivating words, Richie, Edo, Steve, Fredrik, Stephen and Rick!

Richie, thank you, but no, I don’t do drawings or painting besides coloring models (wish I could … maybe when I’m old I’ll pick up some canvas and some oils … and force my children to hang my pictures in their homes …  ;D   )

I closed the fuselage using 2K glue and smoothed the seams with the help of car putty.

The advantage of 2K glue is that you can sand it like resin when it set. The advantage of car putty is that it sticks to resin what ordinary plastic putty does not.

When I build biplane models which are no WNW kits, I check the fitting of the struts before detail and paint work. And I was happy that I did as the kit’s interplane struts are weak (despite of containing a wire core) and make the upper wing sitting too high:

In reality it is much more visible than on these pics.
So I made my own struts, pics will follow later!
Best regards,

Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline WD

Really beautiful, impressive work so far Andreas!

Warren

Online RAGIII

You are making great progress on what seems to be a Very challenging kit! I Look forward to the Next update as always!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
Starting to look like an airplane!  Incredible work on the interior and engine. 

Online Borsos

Thank you Warren, Rick and Tim!

That’s it so far. And it looks much better than before compared to the plans I have (resized Windsock Datafile). Strangely now the machine guns look off-center, but they don’t in reality. Or is it just my eyes… however, I‘ll also dry fit the rudders and the landing gear before disassembling the whole thing again and detailing and painting it.

Andreas
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online Borsos

I am with the others - this is truly spectacular modelling, but I think that it proves my point about leaving structures visible on finished models. All of that wonderful detail, especially the engine, is now hidden and simply cannot be appreciated by anyone looking at the model.

Stephen.

Thanks again, Stephen. In fact there are some spots on this engine that I am happy to be able to hide  :)
Andreas
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline gedmundson

Excellent work, Andreas. You're a very brave man to make your own struts - and everything looks lined up in the photos. Brilliant!
Cheers,
Gary

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Fine modelling! /The engine looks great and so does the entire airframe.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Nice engineering. The struts are brass but are they shaped/flattened to airfoil? I see a pin so tubing?

Steve

Online PJ Fisher

Going back to your previous post about the seat - your paintwork really came out quite convincing! I admire that sort of attention to detail.  I wonder if the original was made of Preßstoff rather than leather?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presstoff