Author Topic: An airplane that frequently tried to kill its pilot (Aviatik „Berg“ D. I, 1:32)  (Read 7156 times)

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Indeed, just a couple of days and it is already fantastic. The seat looks simply real, if it was not for the background I would be cheated.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Your seat is incredible!! Real "shrink ray" stuff!
Zac in NZ

Offline Syd Solo

Andreas,

There is a fine line between master craftsman and artist, but with you there is no line: you are both! Wonderful work. This is magical model making.
That wood painting and that seat, wow!

Cheers

Syd

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Amazing work. The fine layers on the seat are excellent.

Steve

Offline Borsos

Thank you very much Przemo, Zac, Syd and Steve, you are all too kind!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline lone modeller

I am catching up Andreas - and I cannot find better words than those of Syd Solo. I completely agree with him: I too could have easily believed that the seat was real!

Stephen.

Offline Pup7309

:)
O my ! That’s the most realistic seat I’ve ever seen ! Lovely woodworking as well…
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
Incredible skills!  I cannot agree more with what the others have posted. Very inspirational. 

Offline Borsos

Thank you very much Stephen, Pup7309 and Tim! I really appreciate your comments!

I went on (slowly, very slowly as there are so many private things going on at the moment) and finished the office. After building and fitting the engine, I am going to do the machine guns.

I must say that I am not too convinced of the originality of the kit’s seat belts. They look more like generic German seat belts. But as I have no documentation how the Austro-Hungarian equipment might have looked like and the kit’s seat belts are from HGW (so they are great stuff), I didn’t break my head for too long and went on with these.

Now I‘ll have to dirty up my hands with oil and grease, it’s engine time!

Andreas
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Edo

slowly vut surely, this is a great job!
I like the seat belt: you make them seem real, mine always look like bent iron....
any tip on how to make seem cloth?

ciao
edo

Offline RichieW

The office looks like a very nice place to be, it just doesn't look like a model. This is a great display of the art of model making. Slowly, slowly is clearly a very good way to go about it!

Richie

Offline FAf

Your idea of slow is quite different from mine... but I'm not complaining! 😀 And it's still looking very good!
/Fredrik

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
This is slow? Great progress!! Hope all the private stuff is resolved for you.

Steve

Offline Borsos

Thank you very much, Edo, Richie, Fredrik and Steve.

Edo, those HGW seat belts are in fact some kind of cloth, so I don’t do anything else but giving them a wash of oil color. I also don’t like photo etched seat belts.

Meanwhile I got the engine assembled and painted. I added wiring from lead wire.

I dirtied up the engine compartment of the fuselage

And dirtied up the engine

After glueing the engine and its wooden stringers into the right fuselage half, i dryfitted the left half, taped it and left it for drying.
I can’t finally close the fuselage, as the armament ist still missing.
But what relieved me was that the engine fit the fuselage and everything looks straight from the outside. I only had to cut away a small pipe/valve (?) at the upper front of the engine.

Next step: Schwarzlose machine guns and then glueing the fuselage halves with 2k cement.
Best regards,

Andreas

Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline RichieW

Wow Andreas, that is a spectacular update. The engine looks powerful and dramatic and the interior looks ready to climb into. It makes me wonder, do you do any painting or drawing? Your work is always so artistic.

Richie