WW1 Aircraft Modeling > Under Construction

An airplane that frequently tried to kill its pilot (Aviatik „Berg“ D. I, 1:32)

(1/19) > >>

Borsos:
Hello,

it’s been quite a while and well, I thought about building a model.

As I don’t have much bench time, I choose a resin kit. It will take quite a while to finish anyway, so it doesn’t really matter. It’s my first resin kit for about 20 years, when I built a Lüdemann 1:72 Halberstadt Cl. IV. Time flies…
Actually it’s my first Austro-Hungarian subject ever, which is strange for a person that has Hungarian ancestors. My Great-grandfather spend 1917 as a Soldier in the Austro-Hungarian army and survived this sinister adventure. And I spend much time of my holidays as a child wandering the Alps with my parents, frequently on the former Austro-Italian frontline. But this never really showed up in my modelling projects. I possessed some of the Toko 1/72 Bergs, but can’t remember actually building one.
A recent visit in Vienna hasn‘t only blown me away by the sheer beauty of this city (it was 15 years then that I hadn’t been there…), I also found some time to visit the impressive Heeresgeschichtliche Museum with my family doing other things.

It’s a fascinating museum, but what it doesn’t have is the one of only two surviving Berg fighter planes: 101.37. it is exhibited in the Technisches Museum Wien where I was not   :)
However, as there are many pictures of this machine on the net, this was not a real problem to take HPHs resin kit and spend some evenings separating parts from threir resin blocks.

I normally don’t like resin kits because I dislike the dust that can cause severe health issues, so i used a scalpel blade and scratched as much as I could, leaving bigger chips that I didn’t inhale. Final sanding was done under water.
Then the kit looked much more like an ordinary plastic kit.
And I went on building it like an ordinary plastic kit, starting with painting the wooden interior. Just acrylics, oils and some clear yellow and clear orange this time, no wooden decals.

Feels like eternities that I fid my last all-wooden cockpit…it’s really fun!
Best regards,
Andreas

torbiorn:
Just popping in to say that’s the nicest wooden paintjob I’ve seen. Hat’s off!

Rob Hart:
Your simulated wood looks superb. A-H subjects are my favorite and I am really looking forward to following your build.

Tim Mixon:
I agree with the others. Excellent painted wood effect.

gbrivio:
Fascinating subject and smart start with wooden effect.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version