Author Topic: Lukgraph Albatros D.III (Oeffag)  (Read 6458 times)

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
Lukgraph Albatros D.III (Oeffag)
« on: March 13, 2023, 08:47:02 PM »
Hi all,
Lukgraph has announced that they are to release an Austro-Hungarian Albatros D.III Oeffag (series 253) - 1:32 scale.
They're currently working on the Austro-Daimler 225 HP engine.
The model should be released at the turn of April and May.

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Flik63J

Re: Lukgraph Albatros D.III (Oeffag)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 10:57:12 PM »
Great news Mike……thank you for the information.
I hope that they will also consider a Halberstadt D type this year……..the idea seemed to have some support on this forum.

David

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 12:10:09 AM »
I saw this on FB this Morning. This release should really make a bunch of Modelers Day/ Year  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 12:36:59 AM »
Fantastic news, I see other Albatros D.III (Oeffag) versions in our future.  Wallet be ready  :o :o :D

Offline Europapete

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 02:45:23 AM »
OH COME ON!!!!!! I am supposed to be retiring and BUILDING the stash, not adding to it!!!!!!!!

Awesome news! Lukgraph just keep getting better and better.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 03:17:10 AM »
Great news Mike……thank you for the information.
I hope that they will also consider a Halberstadt D type this year……..the idea seemed to have some support on this forum.

David

Hear! Hear!
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2023, 09:15:03 PM »
Nice, a four-spark, four-valve engine!
Polish insignia and the 70s wallpaper camouflage fabric, please, so I can re-do my 1/72 scale model in 1/32! :)

Offline the great waldo

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2023, 03:44:09 AM »
Nice, a four-spark, four-valve engine!
Polish insignia and the 70s wallpaper camouflage fabric, please, so I can re-do my 1/72 scale model in 1/32! :)
Bugger I'll be up for at least 2 of these especially with the Polski art nouveau wing covering.
Cheers Lukgraph
Andrew :)

Offline Tom Cobbley

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2023, 04:13:20 AM »
This is fantastic news. I have been waiting for someone to do this for decades. If it’s Lukgraph we can be sure it’s going to be of the best quality. There are some great ( and different) schemes for this aircraft  but I am hoping for Polish Kościuszko and 13 squadron options. As Lukgraph are from Kraków I am quietly confident I will have one ( or several ) in my hands before too long. Bring them on!

Offline morane

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2023, 06:26:56 PM »
It is indeed very interesting, but wouldn't a transformation kit for the Roden D-III be simpler? with engine, fuselage and armament

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2023, 07:01:25 PM »
Not an expert, but it would also need a new center section for the radiator (or something to make the changes -one reason the Roden 1/72 kits come with a 3-part top wing), tail skid, different interior parts, guns, scalloped control surfaces, etc... and make it fit to a kit that's 15 year old (and though I like it -it's not all that great)

Quite a bit of work, an apparenty Lukgraph thought it would be easier/better to design something from the ground up.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2023, 05:56:55 AM »
It is indeed very interesting, but wouldn't a transformation kit for the Roden D-III be simpler? with engine, fuselage and armament

There are people who did exactly that:
https://archive.aeroscale.net/features/3198/index.htm
Andreas

Edit: He used some parts of the old battle axe kit to convert the Roden kit.
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2023, 04:51:33 PM »
Great news! Apparently they’re doing some engines as well - I’ll be getting a few Mercedes d 111 to put in the Roden d111’s I’m building to replace the kit ones ;)
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline OEFFAG 153

• Just another Wingnutter
    • Terfors Creative
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2023, 08:03:11 PM »

There are people who did exactly that:
https://archive.aeroscale.net/features/3198/index.htm
Andreas

Edit: He used some parts of the old battle axe kit to convert the Roden kit.

Hi Andreas, oh this brings back some memories – thank you for bringing it up.

I did use some parts from the Battle Axe kit, but I mostly had to do a lot of scratchbuilding and "sculpting" as many parts from this kit weren't usable. And there are a lot of minor differences that one does'nt think about at first. I remember using the images from a very high quality replica build by an Austrian fellow. In hindsight, there are some issues with my conversion, but its still one of my favourite builds, standing out on my display shelf.

I asked Lukasz if he would do a conversion for the Roden kit, but he said they only do "full" models, and looking at my old build it would still be a lot of work if you want to get everything accurate, even if you get the engine, nose, guns and and radiator. One thing being the different layout of the fuselage panels + several other minor details throughout.

All in all, I've been very keen on another OEFFAG 153/253 Albatros, but not wanted to do another conversion. So this is great news, and I will get one for sure. (And a Lohner a well by the way)

Cheers for now /Mikael
Building the WnW Hansa W.12 and Junkers D.1.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2023, 10:10:55 PM »
I haven’t realized that this was you, Mikael! Now (and seeing your nickname) all parts snap together suddenly :)
Judging from the photos, this was a really great job you did back then! You are rightfully proud of it!
I was thinking about building Brumowskis 153.52 (I always loved this paint scheme very much) and doing this out of the Roden D. III seemed to be easier as the nose isn’t that different. It wasn’t the conversion work that kept me off for the first instance, but the complete lack of an idea how to realize those yellow swingles.
But now I‘ll sit back, pick up a Lukgraph 253 series kit and wait until Lukgraph releases the 153 series, too  ;D
Andreas
Barbusse.
Remarque.