The WW1 modelers' reference library > Aircraft

Udet's Fokker D.VII F

<< < (2/4) > >>

DaddyO:

--- Quote from: Borsos on March 18, 2023, 06:16:17 PM ---
--- Quote from: DaddyO on March 18, 2023, 04:16:54 AM ---Many thanks Andreas  ;D
I'll drop you a pm with the details

Paul

--- End quote ---

E-Mail sent  :)

--- End quote ---

Many thanks for taking the trouble to copy and send that over Andreas. It is indeed a fascinating read and confirms the Du Doch scheme is likely to have been red and white stripesrather than black and white (as sometimes interpreted) I was really interested to see a couple of points made -

i) Diary extract by Lt Preuss which describes his encounter with Udet flying a red aircraft which performed much better than his own which is likely to have been the D VIIF on an evaluation flight since it was after Udet had bailed out of his earlier aircraft.

ii) The suggestion, (which makes perfect sense to me), that flight leaders would have had both main and reserve aircraft painted in similar colours to make identification easier (which also supports the idea of red and white stripes rather than black and white to avoid confusion with Hans Kirschstein's DVII flown at a similar time)

Overall clear as mud  ;D

Still I think there is enough information to imply (if not confirm) that a red and possibly a red and white striped wing may have been fitted to the DVIIF . . . .

Cheers
Paul

Borsos:
No worries, Paul!
I am keen on seeing your interpretation of Udets D. VIIs!
Andreas

Rob_Owens:
Blue Max Airmen Vol 15 P. 159 D.VIIF 4253/18 (text & profile) “. . .upper wing . . .was a replacement component from an OAW-built D.VII. . . upper surface of the top wing was also painted red.”

DaddyO:

--- Quote from: Rob_Owens on March 20, 2023, 02:45:44 PM ---Blue Max Airmen Vol 15 P. 159 D.VIIF 4253/18 (text & profile) “. . .upper wing . . .was a replacement component from an OAW-built D.VII. . . upper surface of the top wing was also painted red.”

--- End quote ---

Thanks Rob :)

Rob_Owens:
In addition the author (and Greg VanWyngarden) of BMA Vol 15 provide some convincing (to me, at least) evidence that the wing stripes on Ddn!! were black/white rather than red/white.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version