Modelers Lounge > Time to relax

Reconnecting with an old PC Game - Knights of the Sky (Microprose, 1990)

<< < (2/4) > >>

Brad Cancian:
Hi everyone - glad that this bought back some fond memories for a number of you :)

I also played alot of Red Baron, Red Baron II (and 3D), and Aces of the Pacific. I also played a bit of Gunship 2000 (also Microprose), and Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe. Some of these games are still running on the old 386, including Red Baron. I even managed to get Dawn Patrol loaded onto the old machine back in the day, but it certainly wasn't up to the task of pushing all of the pixels around...! I did manage to load it an enjoy it on a later machine; the story book format is certainly interesting but the campaign is limited to pre-arranged canned missions and thus isn't too repeatable. Still, I do remember the graphics being very good for the time.

The other one I did pick up back in the day was Flying Corps; another story based campaign but again quite canned and therefore limited in replay-ability.

I also have managed to pick up boxings of Red Baron and Red Baron 3D on ebay over the years, amongst others (not my original boxes, unfortunately). The lovely manuals and maps certainly do provide quite a bit more than manuals these days, if you even get one!

I still occasionally play Red Baron 3D to this day. One day I might get back into the original Red Baron (also released in 1990) and put together a similar review to this one.

*Interesting side note, KOTS was originally titled "The Red Baron" by Microprose, but they changed it as Dynamix had gotten in on announcing their release first (even though it actually released after KOTS). The Red Baron name may well have fitted better with the KOTS gameplay, given the strong emphasis on hunting down the aces (which was not something that featured in the Dynamix game).

Cheers again,

Brad

jeroen_R90S:
Gunship 2000 I'd forgotten about that one! Earlier there was  LHX Attack Chopper by EA -that was about one of the first games I played over PC speakers and it drove my mother nuts :)

And the joys of freeing up 610 out of 640K conventional memory for Aces of the Pacific -I did learn a lot about memory management, drivers, IRQ, DMA and all that other stuff unimaginable to my kids, just to play a game :)
Dawn Patrol was more of a 486DX66 game -I still have the CPU from that (my first PC was actually  a 386SX-25Mhz...) Dawn Patrol was indeed rather scripted. RBII, though later, was very nice for it's day as well... I still have my original box, manual and CD from that. :)

Jeroen

Brad Cancian:
To finish off this little campaign...

The war takes a turn against the allies...

The Germans introduce deadlier new aeroplanes:

None the less, William Hunter achieves his feat of taking out all of the Boche aces! What a guy!

The war situation improves...

And the day of days - Armistice!

William Hunter is the Ace of Aces! Pip Pip!

Apparently this warrants some aerobatics with wing-walking and hanging from an undercart!

The final tally:

Again, a fun little game and campaign. I do recommend checking it out for a little bit of good old fashioned fun, wot!

Cheers,

BC

KiwiZac:
Huzzah for Hunter, the immortal hero!  ;D

Brad Cancian:
 :D ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version