The WW1 modelers' reference library > Markings and Camouflage

Rib Tapes for German Four & Five Color Lozenge

(1/1)

WD:
Forumites,
               I'm thinking ahead to some future German builds, and I'm pondering about the usage of the blue versus pink/salmon colored rib tapes.

It seems that back in the 90's there was a conventional wisdom that one color went on top, and then the other color was applied to the bottom.
Then, if memory serves me correctly, it was the fashion to believe that one manufacturer used one color, and another manufacturer used another.

What's the conventional wisdom on this subject these days? Or, is this still one of those topics that we don't know?

Warren

RedLeader1:
On the subject of rib tapes. In normal practice the tapes were doped on in one piece around the whole rib cap (upper & lower surface) after the first brush coat. Then they were sewn in place as there were cotton battens nailed to the wood rib caps before the wing was covered in the fabric.

Concerning German aircraft:
There are four types known to have been used from the factory.
1. Clear Doped linen tapes were used on various two & single seat. LFG Roland is one of these.
2. Lt. Blue or lozenge tapes were used ONLY ON OAW built machines.
3. Salmon pink or lozenge tapes were used by Albatros, Johannistahl.
4. It seems Fokker only used cut strips of the lozenge fabric.
Of note All aircraft allied or central powers used rib tapes on fabric covered wings. Most of the time they are clear doped linen that are overpainted a camouflage color of the wing surface.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version