WW1 Armour, Artillery, Vehicles, Ships > WW1 Armour, Artillery, Vehicles, dioramas, associated figures and Ships

HMS Agincourt, Scratch Built, 1/1500 Scale

(1/3) > >>

JBLavender:
Greetings. I’m in with another 1/1500 scratch build, this time HMS Agincourt as she appeared at Jutland. The model is made from boxwood, aluminum, and brass and measures just a little over 5" or a bit more than 13cm. The rigging is Nitinol and copper wire.
If you'd like to see more of my ships, I have a website with photos of them at www.josephlavender.com

Agincourt is well-known for carrying more main caliber guns than any other battleship ever built, fourteen. She was originally built in Britain for the Brazilian Navy with the stipulation that the ship's design be "impressive", however after the rubber market collapsed, Brazil could no longer afford the ship and she was sold to the Ottoman Empire. On the eve of WWI, the ship was seized by the Royal Navy from the Ottomans at the builders yard. She was refit to RN standards and many things were changed including her torpedo net booms being removed and the distinctive flying deck over her central turrets removed as well.

Agincourt was modified throughout the war, and I chose to depict her as she appeared passing Windy Corner at the battle of Jutland, 31 May 1916. This proved to be a difficult fit to model as there are few drawings or photos of the ship in mid-1916. I was able to scrape together enough references from my library of books to redraw the plans to my satisfaction. No easy task. Agincourt was eventually scrapped in 1922. An uneventful end to the uneventful career of this very interesting ship.

KiwiZac:
Truly remarkable.

JBLavender:
Thaaanks!!

pepperman42:
Perfect work in every way

Steve

JBLavender:
Hey thanks!

I love a green, moody, wind-whipped sea. So many folks build models with those blue sea bases, and that’s fine, but green just sets the scene and adds some foreboding. It’s rare for me to to depict a ship in battle, since I don’t really like showing a ship in danger.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version