Author Topic: Hexagon color on Austro-Hungarian Aviatiks  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Borsos

Hexagon color on Austro-Hungarian Aviatiks
« on: April 02, 2023, 05:56:14 PM »
Hello all,

I am no expert at A-H warcolors at all. And as I am building HPHs Aviatik Berg D. I (Aviatik built series 138), I just wondered about the to me unusual colors HPH recommends with its color callouts:

My knowledge - or I should better call it just „memory“ -  of those hexagons were much more like that:

In spite of HPH offers an Aviatik built Berg and WDF 45 shows like the flashback boxart Linke- Crawfords Lohner-built Berg, the pattern is quite similar, but the tones are much colder on HPH and much warmer on the latter color depictions.

I tried to get a little deeper into researching, huberlu seems to have had similar questions (http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35183).
I learned at least two things:
1. There‘s no definite answer to the question how exactly those Hexagon camouflage looked like in 1918
2. The reason for this is „ There were so many variations from painter to painter, Manufacturer to manufacturer, Fliks, Fleks, and Flaks, a lot of the schemes were applied in the field! Not to mention the variations in colors from batch to batch and sources.“ (I love statements like these, as they give you so much artistic license  :)  )

In short: Am I completely wrong, when I stick to HPHs general color layout, but go for colors with a warmer shade like on WDF 45?
I am not going to use HPHs separately sold decals anyway (because I just don’t like the colors) but the masks that are given with the kit.

Many thanks in advance
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Rob Hart

Re: Hexagon color on Austro-Hungarian Aviatiks
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2023, 06:47:09 AM »
The artwork in the JaPo book of the same aircraft featured by HPH and shown in your photos has the same pattern, but some of the colors are different. Specifically, the green and the darker tan are both darker. I recall that the colors of the decals in the Flashback kit received much criticism when the kit was released. I also have a set of Doug Baumann decals that matches the artwork in the JaPo book fairly closely with the exception of the dark blue being brighter.
Personally, I'm not very rigid regarding WWI colors. I think that there are just too many variables to consider when trying to determine the exact color of 100+ year old doped fabric and I to fall squarely into the "close enough" camp. My advice is to make an educated guess and go with what you like and feel comfortable defending.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 06:52:49 AM by Rob Hart »

Offline Borsos

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2023, 03:35:31 AM »
Thanks Rob! That’s a pragmatic way that I went more than once, too.
Andreas
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2023, 09:03:37 PM »
Andreas,
Personally, I like HPH’s colder colors.  I feel it is more of a cammo representation than the brighter depictions. Whichever way you choose I’m sure it will look fabulous. 

All the best,
Tim

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2023, 11:59:31 PM »
Would Osprey's Austro Hungarian aces (#46) by Christopher Chant or Austro Hungarian Fighter Units by Zoltan Czirok help? I don't own either.

Steve

Offline Berman

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2023, 12:15:02 AM »

Offline Borsos

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2023, 03:31:58 AM »
Andreas,
Personally, I like HPH’s colder colors.  I feel it is more of a cammo representation than the brighter depictions. Whichever way you choose I’m sure it will look fabulous. 

All the best,
Tim

Tim,
I don‘t know what it is. It’s best explained with a certain picture I had since years how my once-to-be-build Berg fighter should look like. And this picture was heavily influenced by these boxarts or Profiles/paintings respectively.
Thanks a lot!
Andreas

Would Osprey's Austro Hungarian aces (#46) by Christopher Chant or Austro Hungarian Fighter Units by Zoltan Czirok help? I don't own either.

Steve

Thanks a lot, Steve. I own both books and they are a fascinating read. Both keep their colors also a little bit warmer.

There are also these decals produced by Handl in 1/72nd and 1/48th scale.
      http://eshop.handl.biz/en/vyhledavani?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=austro-hungarian+lozenge+&submit_search=

Thank you! These decals actually look very interesting, sadly not my scale. But I‘ll have an eye on them when I get closer to choose or mix my colors.

Andreas
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline Flamingo

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2023, 08:29:07 PM »
Hi Andreas,
this is a most complex camouflage and has been thoroughly described by the late Martin O'Conner
in the Cross & Cockade Journal Vol 17 No 3 of 1986.

Every artist does it differently

from the books

I would go for the greatest

Ronny Bar

Keep in mind this is camouflage, not candy wrapping or birthday decoration.

Choose something YOU find convincing.

The finished model will be at YOUR home, so also choose something YOU like to look at!!

Decals might be modified by a semi-translucent paint coat (Grauschleier!)

Have fun  Joachim

Offline Borsos

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2023, 10:49:25 PM »
Thanks a lot Joachim!
Meanwhile I own the first two books you photographed , next to some more artistic interpretations. My main concern was that there was a ground breaking new insight in the A-H hexagon camp that I just didn’t know it existed. Honestly I don’t mind mixing my own color shades, especially when it comes to WWI Colors  :)

Keep in mind this is camouflage, not candy wrapping or birthday decoration.
good point, given WWI camouflage, designed by some Wehrmut-inspired art students, this is no contradiction.

Andreas
Barbusse.
Remarque.