Author Topic: German & Austro-Hungarian Aero Engines of WWI by Michael Düsing  (Read 612 times)

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
Today I got my (early) birthday present: volume 1, 2 and 3 “German & Austro-Hungarian Aero Engines of WWI” by Michael Düsing published by Aeronaut Books.

Boy, what a treat!

All three volumes are crammed with development history, photographs, drawings, logo’s and datasheets.

To give an example, the Daimler Motoren Gesellschaft Untertürkheim (Mercedes) alone takes up 114 pages.

The story starts in 1834 describing the early years of the company with Gotlieb Daimler, Nicolaus August Otto and Wilhelm Maybach.

With a total of 840 pages the subtitle could easily be ”Everything You Always Wanted To Know About German & Austro-Hungarian Aero Engines of WWI But Were Afraid To Ask”

If you are interested in aircraft engines of this period, this is a no-brainer. Volume 3 has 9 appendices, colour logos of propeller manufacturers and a very extensive list of sources.

I have no affiliation with the publisher, but I can wholeheartedly recommend these books.

Cheers,
Willem

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Re: German & Austro-Hungarian Aero Engines of WWI by Michael Düsing
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2024, 06:51:48 AM »
That sounds like a real must-have for fans of machines with those engines, thanks for the review Willem! Is it fairly dry or is it an engaging read (or is it too soon to tell)?
Zac in NZ

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2024, 10:17:28 PM »
Hi Zac,

I think it is very well written and fun to read, but to let everyone judge for themselves, here are some "sample" pages.

But if Aeronaut Books objects, I will of course remove the photographs.

Cheers
Willem

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2024, 06:14:58 AM »
That looks spectacular!
Zac in NZ

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2024, 11:26:36 PM »
Looks to be an invaluable reference!