WW1 Armour, Artillery, Vehicles, Ships > WW1 Armour, Artillery, Vehicles, dioramas, associated figures and Ships

SMS Emden, 1/1500, Scratch Built.

(1/2) > >>

JBLavender:
Another of my WWI era scratch builds, this time SMS Emden as she appeared when detached from the East Asian Squadron. It’s often assumed Emden was painted in the white and buff scheme at the start of the war, however this isn’t true. The ship was repainted in Scheme 9 during the summer of 1910. The order to repaint all ships other than destroyers was issued in May 1910, with most ships on foreign station finished by the end of summer that year. At the start of WWI, Emden and the rest of the EAS remained in the two-tone grey Scheme 9. It is noted in several accounts that the ship was repainted at least once, possibly twice in those early days of the war. The first repainting was probably just a touch up of the Scheme 9 tones, but sadly neither repaintings were documented other than some throw-away comments that it occurred. However, I maintain the second repainting changed the two-tone Scheme 9 to a monotone grey, specially Lfd. Nr. 3 grey known as squirrel grey. This was done to make the ship appear more like British cruisers she was trying to impersonate. Photos of the wreck are inconclusive, but it does to appear to be a single shade. Photos of her near-sister Dresden seem to suggest the same.

The model is built entirely from boxwood and brass. The sea is carved from boxwood and painted. No fancy resins or gels, just wood and paint.

At any rate, this is why I chose to depict the ship in a single tone grey.

Borsos:
Congratulations on superb craftsmanship and a great eye on how to display these jewels.
Andreas

Dirigible-Al:
Just incredible to build such a detailed cruiser in 1/1500 scale.
Alan.

pepperman42:
Fabulous build and great research!

Steve

pepperman42:
Just looking at you site and going through your builds. They are all incredible. I will be watching your Kongo build closely. Thanks for sharing!!

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version