WW1 Aircraft Modeling > Where to purchase your kits

1:72 or 1:48 scale ??

<< < (2/3) > >>

WD:
I'll be 62 next month, so I'm in the same boat as you. My return to the hobby has come in fits and starts (long story). Suffice it to say, I'm relearning a lot of things now.
Now, to your question:
- I fully agree with what everyone has said in this thread, and then some.
- I have chosen 1/72nd, but that's because my budget in terms of display space and wallet fits that scale.
- 1/72nd IS fiddly! I cannot suggest strongly enough that you invest in a good light source and a magnifier. Lot's of choices for those two things out there. (And this is for no matter which scale path you choose to follow.)
- IF you want to do 1/72nd, it was suggested to me to start off with the Eduard Fokker Dr.I. I did, and the scribes and sages were right! It builds easily enough, very little rigging involved, etc.
- There are a lot of choices in 1/72nd scale kits out there, but they're fiddly. Some choice out there in 1/48th, but not as much. Choose your poison.
- I'm working on a couple of Eduard 1/72nd Nieuport 17's right now, wonderful kit, and whatever problems I'm having with are of my own making.

HTH!  YMMV,

Warren

Rob Hart:
Why not try both 1/72 and 1/48? High quality WWI aircraft kits in 1/72 and 1/48 are fairly inexpensive. nicely engineered, well detailed, and many of them are relatively easy to build. Pick a subject you like and jump in.

albireo13:
My plan is to finish the MiG first.  After that I think 1:48 for fighters and 1:72 for bombers and larger aircraft.

KiwiZac:

--- Quote from: albireo13 on January 08, 2023, 09:33:34 AM ---After that I think 1:48 for fighters and 1:72 for bombers and larger aircraft.

--- End quote ---
A sound strategy I use too.

Tim Mixon:
Welcome back to the hobby Albirio13!  I’m a relatively new poster on this site but not new to the hobby. My preference is for 1/72 for several reasons:
1. The smaller size means more shelf room in display cases
2.  They are far less expensive than larger scale (mostly)
3.  The variety of subjects is far greater than any other scale.
The last reason is the most prominent for me. I like variety and rarity.  If this is your preference, you’ll need to look at vaccuform or resin kit manufacturers. This does increase the difficulty of the build significantly though.
I also prefer to stick with one scale. I like to see the contrast of size between models. You get a real sense of the enormity of a Zeppelin Staaken when you put a Sopwith camel next to it!
 As far as which scale is harder to build, that’s a complicated answer.  I try ( not always my hardest) to detail as much as possible in 1/72. The small scale offers me some latitude in that level of detail.  With the increasing complexity of modern injection molding and 3D printing, it’s hard for me to understand the argument that 1/72 is “too small for my eyes “.  The magnificent talent demonstrated by larger scale modelers on this site is mind boggling! 
Whichever scale or scales you choose, just remember that this is your hobby. There is no right or wrong if it’s what brings you fulfillment. I have found this to be a very supportive and encouraging group!  We look forward to seeing your posts!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version