Author Topic: Christmas Mojo Build - Airfix 1/48 Hurricane Mk1  (Read 2390 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Re: Christmas Mojo Build - Airfix 1/48 Hurricane Mk1
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2023, 07:49:56 AM »
I'm really enjoying this build Brad, excellent work with the masks - I can see why Silhouette is such a prominent brand among modellers!
Zac in NZ

Offline FAf

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2023, 07:51:32 AM »
I've just read through the thread and must say I really enjoyed it! Great tone/feeling throughout and good photography and explanations. It made me want to build something that would give me the same amount of joy!
/Fredrik

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2023, 10:51:32 AM »
Thanks very much for the explanation.

Steve

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2023, 11:52:00 AM »
Hi all - the last week or so has been taken up by other things, but I still managed to get an hour or so at the bench each day. I've now finished the basic paint application.

I have been a die-hard acrylic user for many years, mainly Gunze and Tamiya. This time, I wanted to try something different and a bit less fragile. As such, I decided to try acrylic lacquers, mainly the SMS range (produced here in Australia), as well as the AK interactive acrylic lacquers for their RAF dark green and dark earth.

I started with some pre-shading:

I pre-shaded the white part of the underside in a brown instead of a black, to help with the application of the white. I also left off the radiator to allow ease of masking down the centreline.

The SMS white went down a treat; I was very pleased with how easy these paints are to use, and their coverage is excellent.

I then masked the white and did the black, then the brown, the green, and the markings (also done with SMS acrylic lacquers). Here's where it is at (everything you see here has been done with my home made paint masks):

The masks worked well enough; a little bit of clean up here and there (as expected) but there were no major disasters, so I was quite happy. This should form a good base for the rest of the finish.

I must say I am very pleasantly surprised with the SMS and AK brand acrylic lacquers. These are an absolute pleasure to work with; they spray nicely, dry quickly, and tolerate rough handling and masking. I had absolutely no paint peeling from the masking process (and this one required a LOT of masking). I think I may be converted...!

Next, clear coat and decals for stencils, etc... then I can start some weathering. Not sure i'll get her done by the 16th, but by golly i'll come close...!

Cheers again,

Brad

Online RAGIII

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2023, 12:03:49 PM »
Your Hurricane is really looking awesome Brad.The paint work is perfect.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline FAf

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2023, 06:00:15 PM »
That looks really nice! Good use of masks!
/Fredrik

Offline Borsos

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2023, 09:03:35 PM »
This is an amazing build! Lovely paintwork!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2023, 09:47:11 PM »
Very neat work. Indeed, a true mojo build!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2023, 01:08:27 AM »
I should have asked this before. Did you use Tamiya paints like the ones the model i sitting on? If so are they Mixed?
Thanks in advance,
RAGIII

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2023, 07:05:10 AM »
Thanks all!

Hi Rick - the camo colours were SMS brand acrylic lacquers for the underside black / white, and the markings. The brown / green were both AK acrylic lacquers from their RAF temperate land scheme set (this is a small set of three paints which includes the dark green, dark brown, and sky colours).

Cheers again!

BC

Online RAGIII

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2023, 09:13:39 AM »
Thanks all!

Hi Rick - the camo colours were SMS brand acrylic lacquers for the underside black / white, and the markings. The brown / green were both AK acrylic lacquers from their RAF temperate land scheme set (this is a small set of three paints which includes the dark green, dark brown, and sky colours).

Cheers again!

BC

Thanks Brad!
RAGIII

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2023, 12:05:50 AM »
Wow!! Excellent work. I'm so impressed how efficiently fast you can work and get amazing results. I was a convert to AK Real as well. Their gloss, satin and matt clear coats are great too. Check out Youtube video ep124 model making fundamentals. The first few minutes can be skipped but his method is good. I have used it with success(not that you need any advice but it's interesting)

Steve 

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2023, 12:11:56 AM »
Absolutely stunning work on the masking and painting process, Brad. The properties of that paint you’re using sound excellent for the work involved.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2023, 08:09:33 AM »
Hi Brad,

She is looking great! Thanks for the elaborate description of the pre-shading and masking.

I have only the Tamiya acrylics, but I will look into the SMS and AK ranges too.

Willem

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2023, 01:44:06 PM »
Hi all - I am very pleased to report that I have completed this one ahead of my deadline, and with a few days to spare!

Overall, I found the Airfix kit most enjoyable to build; it goes together quite well, save some minor fit issues around the cowl / wing joint and some of the control surfaces, and some surface roughness to the plastic, but nothing too serious.

I’m already looking to start my next build. It looks like the mojo has returned! Thanks to all for your encouragement as i've worked through this one.

All comments / feedback / tips welcomed.

Cheers,

Brad C