Author Topic: Roden 32nd Spad 13C1  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Russell Niles

Roden 32nd Spad 13C1
« on: January 16, 2023, 03:21:52 AM »
I received my brand new Roden late Spad 13 in the mail a couple of days ago.
It has some of the sprues from the early release, but the wings with separate wing tips to make the squared off of the late Spad are in the box.
Now I have not done a sprue by sprue comparison of the two kits, so I  may be all wrong on this. Just wanted folks to know that its out and I have one.
I ordered mine from Plastic Models Store in Kiev.

Russ

Offline RAGIII

Re: Roden 32nd Spad 13C1
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 04:26:48 AM »
I received my brand new Roden late Spad 13 in the mail a couple of days ago.
It has some of the sprues from the early release, but the wings with separate wing tips to make the squared off of the late Spad are in the box.
Now I have not done a sprue by sprue comparison of the two kits, so I  may be all wrong on this. Just wanted folks to know that its out and I have one.
I ordered mine from Plastic Models Store in Kiev.

Russ

I don't have one yet but the other "Sprue" difference involves the sliding panels on the fuselage sides. They appear to be modified with the addition of the Chute for spent shells or belts, I don't remember which  ???
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline macsporran

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 09:49:32 PM »
Just received my late SPAD (Roden 636) in the post this morning - 42.95GBP incl shipping from Jadlam in UK, which I think is a pretty good price.

First look, shows the expected sprues from the early kit, plus the new wingtips etc - I haven't opened the internal bag as yet so can't comment in detail, but everything looks fine.

I like the 1/32 Roden kits (apart from the Nieuports) and always defend them when people who haven't built one wax lyrical about how much better Wingnuts are. However, with this kit there is definitely a major drawback - and that's the decal sheet. Choice of subjects is fine but both the US and French roundels are very poor - lacking colour density, dark outer borders and slight white register issue. The general feel is dull and cheap. (I'm sure there are difficult production issues in Ukraine at the moment and I take my hats off to them for getting the kit out, but I'll need to source transfers elsewhere for this kit.
Sandy

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 07:24:50 PM »
Shame about the decals... other than the roundels, is the rest usable?
I don't have one (yet), I promised my wife I'd build the early I do have first! :D

Offline Rob_Owens

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2023, 04:23:34 PM »
Yes, other than the roundels, the rest appear to be useable (on my kit anyway).
Replacing the roundels has few aftermarket options, but I’ve had good luck with cutting roundels from solid decal material. The trick is to cut them from the BACK of the sheet (so the color doesn’t chip/tear) using either a compass cutter or a circle template. The advantage here is that rudder colors cut from the same material match the roundels, and you can alter roundel proportions (French/RFC) to match the prototype.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2023, 05:57:37 PM »
Thanks, Rob!