Author Topic: 1/72 Albatri  (Read 1558 times)

Offline torbiorn

1/72 Albatri
« on: October 06, 2022, 05:27:20 PM »
Wanted to share what I’ve been fiddling with lately. The Albatros is, at least for me, the epitome of the Great war scout, along with the Camel and Nieuport. The sleek but still primitive look, and a never-ending supply of fanciful markings ruining the various elaborate camoflague schemes, ensures that one won’t get bored with them. I’m at least as interested in the technical development as in the actual use of the things, and wanted to make a study by putting together models of all versions from the first to the last. I thought building them in parallel would save time - after finishing I’m not entirely convinced about that approach, and I haven’t even gone into the Austrian machines. The history of the type has been described in detail elsewhere, but I’ll put together a short summary. The Austrian machines had a different engine and armament as well as other changes, but that’s for some other time.

For the kits, the D.I, D.II and D.III are Roden, while the D.V and DVa are from Eduard. Most are OOB, with some spare PE here and there. The Eduard kits strangely lack radiator pipes, but Roden kindly supplies all different versions in their boxings and they fit nicely. Roden make wonderful packs with many nicely detailed spare parts for many different versions, though they are more challenging to built than the Eduard kits. Roden decals are frankly bad (brittle, thick, bad glue), which is a shame since they provide so many nice options.

The finished lineup below. Besides showing the technical development, it also show the development of painting and markings. From the modestly camouflaged D.I, to the flamboyant D.Va on the right.

The D.I - about 50 built.
Powered by a 160hp Mercedes, these entered service in August 1916.
The model depicts a D.I of Jasta 2, Western front, autumn 1916, no D426/16

I’m a little suspicious on the fuselage crosses here… it’s the only one of the five I found no photos of, and had to rely on the instructions. I did not follow its suggestion regarding camouflage (colour separation spanwise on the wings) but went for something more conventional.

D.II - some 290 built including Austrian
Was essentially the same as the D.I: following pilot feedback the upper wing was lowered almost 40 cm to improve forward visibility. Entered frontline service around September 1916, simultaneously with D.I..

Model depicts D.1724/16 of Emil Schäfer of Kasta 2, who went on to become an ace with Jasta 11. He was killed flying a D.III in 1917.

Hmm, I have to cut the cross decal to show the rudder-fin separation. I always discover things after taking the photos.

D.III - about 1900 including Austrian
Same fuselage and engine as the D.II, but with a new wing and strut arrangement inspired by the French Nieuports. The ear-like sode radiators were replaced by Teves and Braun radiators mounted in the upper wing (late D.IIs also had these). The original radiators gave more drag and since they were located low, could if struck empty the engine of cooling liquid.

Model shows the machine of Werner Voss in summer 1917, which he brought along when transferred to Jasta 6.

D.V - about 600 built
The D.V had a new fuselage with a round cross-section. The wings were almost identical to the D.III but the upper was lowered closer to the fuselage. The aileron cables were re-routed into the upper wing, probably to ensure survivabulity if the weaker lower wings were damaged - the D.III had a structural weakness in that the lower wing could break dives, which the D.V retained. Unfortunately the D.V also had upper wing structural issues. D.V machines had the new rounded rudder introduced on OAW-built D.III.

The model shows 2299/17, Belgium 1917, flown by either Xavier Dannhuber or Bruno Loerzer. Kit decals.

D.Va - about 1900 built
The designers sought to deal with the wing weakness, which resulted in the D.Va. It had a strengthened construction, and the lower wing was strengthened by a brace on the V-struts. Tte aileron cables were back in the lower wing. The two latter changes are the only visual difference between the D.V and D.Va (and naturally the D.Va lacks the aileron control horns). The Mercedes engine was continously improved and by this time the D.IIIaü version could generate up to 200hp. Stronger engines improved the performance, but not enough: the structural changes also made it heavy, and the D.Va was still seriously outclassed by the contemporary Entente types developed to deal with initially superior Albatri. Due to this, once the superior Fokker D.VII was developed, Albatros was forced to cease production and switch to building Fokker’s machines on license.

The model depicts a Jasta 18 machine from May 1918, unknown pilot and werknr. Decals from the spares box with Aviatik lozenge and blue tapes drawn with a pen. Hmm, looks like I forgot to cut the last elevator control wire.

As you can see I was lazy with the prop lamination, still haven’t figured out or found an efficient way of getting good results.
Hope to add the Austrian versions at some point.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 05:46:02 AM by torbiorn »

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
Re: 1/72 Albatri
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 10:09:25 PM »
Beautifully built.  Thanks for the tutorial on the design development. I especially like the group shot. 

Offline macsporran

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2022, 10:27:09 PM »
Nice models - and a nice theme.
I trust you are working on an Albatros Dr.I - a dead end development, but necessary to complete the picture perhaps?
Sandy

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 01:43:07 AM »
Super collection of models which illustrates well the development of the type. An interesting theme which could be replicated with other types such as the Nieuports and Sopwiths.

Stephen.

Offline Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2022, 11:32:44 AM »
I like all of them.  I agree that the Roden kits are more challenging but look great when finished.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2022, 03:59:59 PM »
A really nice collection!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online DaddyO

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2022, 04:57:48 PM »
Who doesn't like an Albie? Not me that's for sure and seeing a group together like this is great - Congrats

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline DaveB

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2022, 08:45:39 PM »
Great collection of Albatros fighters - my favourite is your DVa.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2022, 12:53:38 AM »
Very nice!  I do like Eduard's lozenge colors.  Excellent builds.

Stuart

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2022, 09:00:55 AM »
Now that's a lineup to be proud of. Bravo!
Zac in NZ

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2022, 09:10:30 AM »
Awesome collection and representation of the progression of the type!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2022, 03:17:39 PM »
What a display! Very nice models and an interesting story about painting and marking evolution in the type.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline IanB

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2022, 08:03:11 PM »
Interesting comparisons, and lovely models, all of them!
I have the same plan, not just with Albatros, but all the major manufacturers. I have most of the Fokkers and Sopwiths but have not yet finished the whole line.

Ian

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2022, 12:31:54 PM »
Excellent collection of Albatros models! I didn't know that the D.I and D.II had such small production runs.

Offline Allan31

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2022, 01:14:27 PM »
Great post, love the history shared and data, wonderful builds all, thanks.
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.