Author Topic: TEST BED: Roden 1/72 Bristol F2.b Fighter  (Read 3383 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: TEST BED: Roden 1/72 Bristol F2.b Fighter
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2022, 07:18:08 AM »
Lovely Frame work on the interior!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online PJ Fisher

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2022, 05:07:24 AM »
Hey gang,

My next session involved rigging the fuselage framing.  First I lined up the fuselage halves for a sense of how much would actually be seen.  The image below also shows how translucent the fuselage sides have become.  For the rigging I used strands of dark-grey hair from a wig bought at a party costume store over near Central Park.  I used this 'wig rig' method several times in the past and remain happy with it.  Simply snip one strand and gently stretch it before use.  The 'wires' were strung through the 'hairline' joints between the woodwork then tautened using super glue applied with a snip of steel guitar string.  The glue also acts to fill the joints which can then be retouched with paint if needed.  One minor setback here - because i currently don't have much by way of supplies I used regular crazy glue from the corner hardware store.  This proved too thick and tiny amounts accumulated in the corners (visible in 2nd image), so I've since ordered thinner hobby glue. I suppose for the future I could also attach the hair strands to the ends of the wooden elements before glueing the framing in place.  This would eliminate about 1/2 the later glue application and lessen any need for paint touch ups.

Then I revisited the wings, which were recovered with Tamiya 'Deck Tan' and corrected rib pencilling.  I still needed to rectify Roden's pooly molded under surfaces, which have indentations where the raised ribs should be.  To emulate ribbing in the past, I've laboriously glued styrene strips then sanded and filled accordingly. It's a common technique that must be rendered subtly in 1/72 scale.  Alternatively, this time I chose to try applying dry-transfer decal strips directly over the pencilled lines.  The concept of accenting scale rib-taping and underwing surface highlights/shadow has really evolved since I was last active. Theoretically, because this particular build is to be finished in PC-10, there should be no sunlight coming through to create shadow.  As such, I opted for white stripes to emulate the direct appearance of actual rib tape over doped linen.  The dry-transfers were sourced from Woodland Scenics, which offers them in varying width and color.  I've never tried this technique before, and as you can see in the second image below my work started off rather sloppy, with some transfers off register, nonparallel, or unevenly applied. Good news is, before burnishing them into place, the transfers can be removed by lightly scraping with a knife.  I kept experimenting with how to apply the stuff and eventually got to a point where I was satisfied for this test-bed model.

My next move was to apply a light coat of the custom clear-doped-linen pigment concocted during my previous session.  This was not only thinned but mixed with a Tamiya cleat coat to create a proper glaze.  Here's where another big blunder occurred - my Tamiya clear proved to be lacquer and, instead of enhancing the acrylic mix as intended, it coagulated into an ooze that clogged my near-virginal airbrush.  I'm not smart enough to understand the hows and whys of it all but after unclogging the airbrush I attempted a new mix, which applied properly.  After drying, the surfaces were gently rubbed with two varying grits of a buffering sponge that removed some paint imperfections and raised areas. A second thinner coat was applied, which brought the contrasting tones of the canvas and tape to a harmonious balance. The aim being to achieve simple visual variance of intensity... like wearing a white shirt while being able to see a white undershirt beneath it.  Following this was a thin warming coat of clear yellow to suggest the 'doped' effect.

Rather than overaggerating the wing effect I want this build to look clean, and the subtly raised thickness of the dry transfer suggests a three-dimensionality that water-based decals can't achieve, while covering Roden's casting flaws.  Looks like I need to go back with a touch more of the clear yellow to even out my inconsistent airbrushing.  Halfway through I questioned if the rib tapes looked too wide for scale but they look to match up acceptably with those on the actual plane (third image above).  Overall I'm happy with the results of this untested approach. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 12:19:03 PM by PJ Fisher »

Offline IanB

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2022, 09:56:24 AM »
Welcome back!
We all make the odd hiccup here and there but fast learning is a benefit and this looks set to be a great model.
Don't forget that the linen was taut, and as such there should be no raised, or recessed, ribs on the undersurfaces, just a difference in hue with the rib tapes showing lighter with PC10 upper surfaces as you have correctly depicted.
  I'm looking forward to seeing this one progress.

Ian

Online PJ Fisher

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2022, 12:05:14 PM »
Thanks Ian, for your feedback.  I agree.  I'm trying to develop an approach employing a suggestive subtlety rather than expressive representation. Long way to go.

Though there's definitely something going on with this particular Brisfit I've been referencing!:

Offline Herb Collector

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2022, 11:26:59 PM »
The outlining of the ribs and spars in the photo is caused by high air pressure under the wing, which is what keeps the aeroplane aloft.

The model is coming along nicely, looking forward to seeing it finished.

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2022, 12:35:08 AM »
That definitely is the Airfix Bristol in flight!   :)

An alternative to rubbing the transfers onto the model would be to transfer to clear decal film. Then apply the decals as per usual.  This works particularly well if the surface is not exactly smooth. 
 Great work you have going on there!

Offline torbiorn

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2022, 06:37:22 AM »
I think your linen and rib effect is perfect as is. I’ve seen many models where they are extremely exaggerated - yours are spot on.
Thanks for the tip about the transfers, I’ve been masking and spraying to achive that effect, which is very tedious. Will definitelt have a go with the transfers. I may also suggest trying a linen-coloured pen, which is much quicker but also more difficult to get straight and equal lines.

Nice to see someone using hair for rigging, I think it’s better than any other alternative I’ve tested  (except maybe for some control wires or aerial antennas where hair is too thick).

Online PJ Fisher

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2022, 11:08:08 AM »
That definitely is the Airfix Bristol in flight! 

...took me a while to get that joke!  hahahahah

Online PJ Fisher

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2022, 11:39:07 AM »
...also suggest trying a linen-coloured pen, which is much quicker but also more difficult to get straight and equal lines...

I've used colored pencils in the past for highlight and shade, and I've tried a brown sharpie as an undercolor for rib-shadow effect, which worked ok for 1/72nd scale. What brand of pen do you recommend for a lighter color? 

Nice to see someone using hair for rigging, I think it’s better than any other alternative I’ve tested

The synthetic hair can be stretched a little to become quite thin and glues effortlessly. I also just picked up a steel-grey colored wig. If you or anyone else would care to try some just PM me and I can post a bunch in an envelope no charge.  I have more than I'll ever need.

Offline WD

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2022, 02:43:01 AM »
Great work, and I'm enjoying following this.

Warren

Offline Allan31

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2022, 02:04:29 AM »
Great progress PJ. Can't wait to try WigRig.
I have pretty much switched over to Vallejo paints. I have found sticking with a base of paints that are all compatible with each other gets rid of a lot of mishaps. I use Tamiya fine white primer and do my CDL in two stages, similar to yours. Future is a great friend.

Applying dry transfers to clear decal first works wonders.
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Online PJ Fisher

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2022, 04:04:08 AM »
Hey, thanks for sharing.  Convincing weathering too.

Offline torbiorn

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2022, 09:16:04 AM »

I've used colored pencils in the past for highlight and shade, and I've tried a brown sharpie as an undercolor for rib-shadow effect, which worked ok for 1/72nd scale. What brand of pen do you recommend for a lighter color? 

The synthetic hair can be stretched a little to become quite thin and glues effortlessly. I also just picked up a steel-grey colored wig. If you or anyone else would care to try some just PM me and I can post a bunch in an envelope no charge.  I have more than I'll ever need.

I’m sorry, I did not see your reply! I should come here more often. I’m using these pens, which I actually bought to make rib tapes on lozenge since I find using decals extremely tedious.

In case the image disappears: Uni Posca 0.7mm by mitsubishi. The tan is much lighter in real life (the blue as well), but may be too dark anyway for this purpose. I shall give it a go and show the results.

They can make just the right width for 1/72, the width being slightly dependent on how you draw. With a bit of practice it’s possible to make perfectly consistent lines. Here’s my first attempt (some lines are imperfect - I was impatient!) - the crashed Albatros awaiting repairs has pen-drawn rib tapes, the other Eduard decals.

I just might take you up on your kind offer!  :)

Allan, that’s a lovely Camel. Like the Nieuport too, but the Camel is something extra.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 01:17:38 AM by torbiorn »

Online PJ Fisher

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2022, 01:34:55 AM »
Hey, thanks torbiorn.  Definitely potential with these paint pens! I've done some under-shading with Sharpies, but have never used a pen to overpaint.  I will pick up a few.

Just message me if you'd care to try a rigging sample.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2022, 04:25:14 AM »
The bracing wires and your rib painting look excellent. The pens are an interesting idea, looking forward to seeing your experience with them  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler