Author Topic: A Change is as good as a new Mojo -or - Giving the modelling Blues the Bird!  (Read 932 times)

Offline macsporran

Somebody posted recently about losing their mojo and enthusiasm for continuing with a modelling project.
I've suffered thus several times over the years and generally find a complete change of subject, with all the associated new research required, quickly gets the creative cogs and gears going again.

A couple of years ago, this happened and I ground to a halt with WWI biplanes. One of my other hobbies is bird-watching and I chanced on one of the old Airfix 1:1 scale wildlife bird models - the Bullfinches - on ebay. There were no bids and I ventured a couple of quid for no particular reason and, of course, won it. Then realised I had no suitable paints so off to "The Works" for an acrylic artists set. Lots of sanding and filling later I found I had to learn new painting techniques to "feather" (literally) the plumage. Suddenly I was hooked.

I scoured ebay and junk sales for the rest of the series and managed to pick them all up for peanuts - I was of course looking for models to build, not collectors' pristine boxes, just the plastic.

I built all the models, painting one of the Blue Tits as a Coal Tit and omitting one of the Robins as the European Robin is an incredibly aggressive little bu**er and you rarely see two together (no matter how sweet they look on Christmas Cards) Also one of the Robin mouldings bears no resemblance to any bird I've ever seen!
I finished them all and then started to look at what else I could add and hacked a Bullfinch about a bit, adding a crest to fashion a Chaffinch and started similarly on a Yellowhammer - and suddenly, the bird mojo left me. The half-finished projects went back in a drawer. I wanted to build an SE5a!
Problem solved.

Anyway I got the Airfix Birds out of the cabinet onto the dining room table for a photograph.

When the enthusiasm wanes, try something different!
Sandy

PS Next time I'll tell you about the Aurora Knights!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 06:33:10 PM by macsporran »

Offline DaveB

Sandy -

Yes, agree a change of pace is really refreshing.   I remember these and I built the Blue Tit bird model when I was kid - I had forgotten all about this old Airfix range.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Great approach!! Love the bird collection. Looking forward to the ka-niget story.

Steve

Offline Thumbs up

What a wonderfully bird brained idea!  ;)

Offline gedmundson

Very cool to see this old kits so well done, Sandy.
Cheers,
Gary

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Sandy,
    I could not agree more with your solution to the loss of "Modelling Mojo"  challenge. With me it's off topic Builds and, of all things bizarre, Viking Ships! I have three unbuilt Kits of the latter kicking around here and will get to them(or at least one!) very soon, and have been working away at a second WWII very Canadian subject for the past several months. As has happened before, I find my mind focusing on several tempting WWI Subjects I have in mind as the old passion for wind and wire rekindles!
   As you say, try something different, and nice Birds!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Rob Hart

Great idea! I may have to track down one of those owl kits.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Hi folks

One of the reasons we created the World of Scale Models board was to give members a place to celebrate all forms and subjects of modelling so it's great to see birds and Viking ships are helping renew the modelling mojo! I like to vary subjects and scales so bounce from Spitfires and Hurricanes to Sopwith Camels and WW1 armour.

Right now I have a Revell Mercury/ Gemini combo space capsule kit from the golden age that I'm keen to make because I loved making them as a kid. I also love making the old Pyro/ Inpact kits of the 1960s!

Please feel free to celebrate all of your off topic model interests on the World of Scale Models board- the more the better.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline macsporran

Thanks for all the responses guys
Funnily, I am currently posting build progress on a WWI Fokker D.II aeroplane elsewhere on the WWI aeroplane forum. This has elicited only a couple of (much appreciated) comments, while a completely off-topic post on Airfix birds has brought many more replies!
Just shows we all maybe need a bit of variety from time to time!
Cheers
Sandy

Offline torbiorn

Same here. So far the changes required to reawaken my interest in modelling haven’t been so great as yours though, rather big->small, WWI->WWII, scratch->kit or combinations thereof. Variation is good. Very often I’ve set out to build a whole series of models (e.g. one of each Spitfire mark or somesuch) only to get bored after only one or two models.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
I first learned of the bird kits through Airfix's (moderately?) illfated "KitStarter" programme and, to be honest, I was quite taken by them! I'd love to get my hands on a few for my wife and I as something a little different. Charming little builds that would allow for me to hone my painting skills in a different way...and to confuse the cats!  ;D

Bravo Sandy, and thank you for sharing your little flock!
Zac in NZ