Author Topic: Time to show us your workbench  (Read 46750 times)

Offline PJ Fisher

Re: Time to show us your workbench
« Reply #105 on: September 11, 2022, 03:07:20 AM »
Hey gang,

I'm just getting back into the game after a 10-year hiatus.  All my old supplies are in storage on the other side of the continent, so I've assembled a humble new arsenal in my NYC apartment.  My 'workbench' is simply an old wooden tool box I picked up at a second-hand shop up near Harlem.  I store it in the closet when not in use and use my kitchen table as my workspace:

I'm planning to trick the toolbox out a bit but for now it has an upper tier housing its original wooden slide tray to hold paints and a plastic container of essential tools.  I want to build a second tray but for the time being I found a cardboard box that fits perfectly up top and serves as a 'flat file', for sandpaper, decals, sheet styrene, plans and various accessories.  Down below I have a few larger supplies including my airbrush, a pair of magnifying glasses (have never used before), and a few starter kits to practice on.

The only airbrush I ever used in the past was my grandfather's single-action Paasche from the 1940s.  I've no room now for a noisy compressor with air hoses, so for a birthday give I received this great cosmetic airbrush with built-in compressor that charges via USB. Having only used enamel paints in the past I was at a loss as to what to use these days. I first went to Tamiya but have to confess I don't really like them for airbrushing. I have some AK Interactive to try further, but I really like the MRP lacquers the best so far.  Instead of the old Dremel I bought a simple battery-powered rotary manicure tool.  It's low power keeps me from accidentally melting or gouging plastic.

If I were stranded on a desert isle the basic five tools I'd be sure to bring are: x-acto knife, micro saw blade, flexifile, and a pinvise.  Do you have a favorite tool I should know about that you rely on for every build and find irreplaceable? 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 03:22:46 AM by PJ Fisher »

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2022, 06:16:25 AM »
I cannot write which are my favourite tools, but I do work from a limited space with a limited range of hand tools. See my modelling tray on page 3 of this site if you are interested. I do not use a spray gun - just hairy sticks!

Stephen

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2022, 09:57:06 AM »
Only now getting around to sharing a photo of the work bench. As you can see, pretty simple... a desk, lamp, airbrush, photobox, and some drawers where everything is pretty much shoved in. One day i'll actually get around to better setting things up to have all of my major tools to hand... i've been saying that for 20 odd years or so though...!

As an aside, my latest project, which is taking up plenty of my time, but she deserves it :)

Cheers,

BC

Online Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2022, 08:32:40 PM »
Well, here's my stuff, spread over the house. The workspace itself is in the livingroom / kitchen.

The cabinet with the folders (documents, drawings, photographs etc., etc.) is in the hall.

And in the attic I have the spraybooth, a cabinet with paints, thinners, brushes and other stuff, the stash, more tools, and a few boxes with scratch materials (wood, paper, plastics, metals and whatnot.)

It would like to have everything in the same room, but there is simply not enough space in our house.

Offline PJ Fisher

« Reply #109 on: November 13, 2022, 12:38:58 AM »
Looks like there's an HP V/1500 stashed away in there.