Author Topic: Model Cellar Eduard Ritter von Schleich 1/32  (Read 2845 times)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: Model Cellar Eduard Ritter von Schleich 1/32
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2022, 09:25:21 PM »
Willem, thanks very much for looking this up for me. That does look like it has potential and not a massive cash outlay. When I was more productive I used 3/000 brushes. I suspect something even finer would be required for this. Thanks again. Prime membership gets this to me tomorrow!!

Steve

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2022, 09:33:28 PM »
 Always glad to help  :)

Willem

Offline macsporran

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2022, 12:56:39 AM »
Wilhelm, thanks for the heads-up on this. I had no idea you could get such a thing.
I ordered one yesterday and have just unboxed it and started playing with it today. Marvellous. Can't wait to get some detail work and a brush underneath it.
(Have to wait a bit though, it's 32C in the garden today - in Scotland!!!. Locals are crawling out from under stones and  wondering what this funny yellow hot thing in the sky is! Must get the factor 50 on while it lasts!)
Thanks again for the links
Sandy

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2022, 03:31:11 AM »
If you guys like it I may buy one too  ;)

Willem

p.s. Apologies for stealing you thread Gary...

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2022, 12:43:04 PM »
If you guys like it I may buy one too  ;)

Willem

p.s. Apologies for stealing you thread Gary...

Ha! No worries Willem, I’m keen to follow this and see how acceptable those products are to help us in our hobby.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2022, 01:15:54 PM »
One more question Gary. Once you started using the microscope did you change to smaller brush sizes. I know paint volume has as much to do with brush size as the point but I'm just wondering if a 3/000 under magnification is too big.

Steve

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2022, 09:36:12 AM »
So as not to hijack this thread I posted my initial thoughts on the Dcorn scope Willem suggested over on hints and tips. All things considered, not bad.

Steve

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2022, 12:37:39 AM »
One more question Gary. Once you started using the microscope did you change to smaller brush sizes. I know paint volume has as much to do with brush size as the point but I'm just wondering if a 3/000 under magnification is too big.

Steve

It’s interesting once I did start using the scope I did find my brushes were inadequate. In further conversation with Mr. Takaishi, he advised me on using Winsor & Newton Series 7 brushes, and it was the best advice - I’ve never looked back. These brushes hold and deliver acrylic paint like no other, and I always use them for the figures especially. The points on them last a long time...my first 000 brush I bought back in 2018 is still going strong. I also use a magical fluid called Brush Restorer made by Winsor & Newton to clean them. It dissolves any paint you can name, but it’s claimed non-toxic (I would not drink it 😅)

Getting to your question about size, 000 is the smallest I’ve used, and works perfectly. I can paint the iris and pupils on a 1/32 face no problem. Going smaller may run the risk of not holding enough paint....or paint drying out before it can be applied. With acrylics I found there’s such a balance between brush-loading, paint dilution, and drying time that you juggle all three in the space of a few seconds. There’s nothing like practice and I’m still learning as I go. I’m very interested to see your experience with your new device, and if you stick with it for all kinds of modelling work.

Cheers,
Gary