Author Topic: Caudron G.IV, CSM 1/48  (Read 8598 times)

Offline FAf

Re: Caudron G.IV, CSM 1/48
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2022, 06:28:14 AM »
Hello again... So, I'm back at it after yet another brief pause from modelling. I don't know about you, but to me, although I find building relaxing, sitting down at the table actually requires me to be relaxed beforehand. So when work and other things speed up, I usually find it harder to sit down and model; hence the pause. 

Some of you might remember from before that I've struggled a bit with this build. Not because of the kit, but probably because I haven't really had a clear focus and the main proof of this is the number of repaints done to this point. I think I wrote last time that I finally was happy with the colours... well, it's still in the same colours, but it took a while before I actually convinced myself not to repaint the wings again and that's probably another reason for the break from building. Yet another reason is the slightly daunting task of rigging this plane and getting a feel for where all those wires should go...

Anyway, getting started again meant adding the lacing to the wings. I broke a number of drill bits before I managed to get it done; the left wing slightly sloppier than the right wing. After this I added some Mr. Surfacer to hide the drill holes and blend everything in.

Then the crew gondola was attached to the bottom wing and the first few wires were attached in order to have them in place before adding the top wing and no longer being able to have the same access to the gondola.

The engines have quite a bit of rigging on them. Here I think I have added all of the wires that eventually will form the rigging of them.

The engine nacelles slot in quite easily in the PE-rigging points that come with the kit and then there is a bit of fiddly work to be able to thread and tighten and glue and cut everything. There are three cross braces like this for each nacelle and getting things correct on the side that faces the crew compartment is a bit scary. At least I've started and with a few more sessions I should be able to add the top wing and then move on to the tail section and so on... I might have to buy some more fishing line, I think...

Cheers
Fredrik

Offline RichieW

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2022, 04:28:02 AM »
Hi Fredrik,

I missed this build up to now due to an extended break from the hobby but have just read through from the start. I really like the colour you have settled for. The weathering looks perfect too. I have a feeling you have another competition winner in the making here.

Richie

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2022, 04:39:42 AM »
Very good news that you have picked this up again. The finish and weathering, (especially the oil on the lower wings), is superb.

Rigging this model can be a challenge, and you are very wise to start before you add the top wing. However like most lattice tailed machines, provided that it is tackled systematically and in small stages, it is not too difficult - just fiddly. Things come together surprisingly quickly once started. I agree with Richie - this is a true winner in the making.

Stephen.

Offline guitarfool

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2022, 08:38:17 AM »
Wow, really excellent modeling! The scratch details and weathering are amazing! And those oil pulsometers (those things you didn't know the name of sticking up out of the side of the nacelles) are so tiny - even in 1:32 scale, let alone 1:48.
If I can (someday) get my G3 (in 1:32 scale) to look half as good as this, I'll be very happy.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2022, 04:54:58 AM »
If I can (someday) get my G3 (in 1:32 scale) to look half as good as this, I'll be very happy.
Same here!
Zac in NZ

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2022, 06:39:57 PM »
What can I say that hasn't already been said Fredrik? I think your work is outstanding and I am particularly in awe by the weathering.

Willem

Offline Big Sky Modeler

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2022, 05:02:11 AM »
I really like the look of the holes and lacing you did on the wings.  If you don't mind my asking, what size drill bits did you use and what size thread (mono?) did you use for the lacing.  You've done a great job on this model.

Offline FAf

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2022, 11:26:52 PM »
Thank you all for your comments Richie, Stephen, guitarfool, Zac, Willem and Big Sky Modeller! They are very much appreciated!

@Richie - I'm glad you approve of the final colour version. I'm thinking that the next model should have something simple as far as colours go... like PC10. 😉

Very good news that you have picked this up again. The finish and weathering, (especially the oil on the lower wings), is superb.

Rigging this model can be a challenge, and you are very wise to start before you add the top wing. However like most lattice tailed machines, provided that it is tackled systematically and in small stages, it is not too difficult - just fiddly. Things come together surprisingly quickly once started. I agree with Richie - this is a true winner in the making.

Stephen.

I thought of giving up, but decided against it and am also quite pleased with that decision. I've never actually weathered a model this much before... we'll see how it all fits together in the end. Right now I feel that parts might be overdone. As far as fiddly goes it feels like I'm just adding more and more wires right now. At least I think I've got all of them under control and know what wire goes where. The tail part feels scary, but, as you say, if I just do it methodically it'll probably go alright.

I really like the look of the holes and lacing you did on the wings.  If you don't mind my asking, what size drill bits did you use and what size thread (mono?) did you use for the lacing.  You've done a great job on this model.

I don't mind at all. Firstly, measure a bit more than me... On one side I simply drilled holes and eyeballed the distances, which led to different amounts of holes on the two sides and the fact that not all of them are facing eachother. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that I used a 0.3 mm HSS drill bit. I tried using karbide drill bits first, but broke several, probably because of hand drilling. The monofilament is 0.08 mm and they are laced like a shoe.

/Fredrik

Offline Borsos

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2022, 08:59:07 AM »
Your weathering looks extremely realistic!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2022, 10:43:52 AM »
Really nice. I anticipate each update and am taking notes for my own build someday…

Offline FAf

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2022, 12:37:33 AM »
Thank you Andreas, I'm happy you like the weathering as it isn't my usual style and I'm feeling a little out of my comfort zone. And thank you Tim, take any notes you want and if you ever need references let me know. I've compiled quite a few from the web.

Progress is a little bit slow, or rather it takes a lot of time to do many things that doesn't really show well in an update, i.e. adding monofilament strands in preparation of rigging. Photo references are necessary to figure out where all of the rigging should go. CSM has included good rigging diagrams, but they aren't quite complete and leave question marks.

I've added the rest of the photo etched brackets on the bottom wing and the struts that go with them. Things are getting mighty fragile, but I didn't really dare add only the brackets. They have a tendency to come away without the extra strength added by the strut. Here is one example of why things are a bit slow... this is the wing warping mechanism, well part of it any way, and here there will be a number of control wires added as well as the structural wires to reinforce the wing.

And when you start to count the number of strands that will be added before the top wing comes on, you get to 49 on one half of the aircraft and I've probably missed a few in that count. So right now I have to navigate around lots of loose ends and fragile struts. But, one at the time and it'll be done all of a sudden... I hope.

Cheers
Fredrik

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2022, 02:41:31 AM »
Having lots of loose wires for rigging while the model is under construction is a real PTA. Have you consulted the DataFile on the G IV because that has good photographs and rigging diagrams in the drawings, and they are at 1/48 scale which would make them even more useful for you. Pm me if you do not have a copy.

What you have done so far looks very impressive indeed.

Stephen.

Offline FAf

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2022, 04:34:10 AM »
We have a biplane!

Sorry for the late reply Stephen, but a massive thank you for reminding me of the Datafile. It made it a lot easier to interpret what's in the CSM booklet and all those photos of the real thing. I've now added all the wires I think I should add at this stage and came to the conclusion, this Friday evening with no prior planning of it, that I should add the top wing. Some tricky positioning of wing and struts and the need to apply down pressure on the centre portion of the top wing, but all in all it went quite smoothly. The kit is really well engineered! Good work CSM!

Below you see two attempts to capture all of the loose wires, as well as what it looks like right now. I'll leave the clamp in place until tomorrow and cross my fingers (although that will be tricky as I need them) when I release it.

/Fredrik

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2022, 07:51:10 AM »
That looks very promising indeed. You have a very good idea to thread groups of wires in those plastic tubes - one way at least of keeping some semblance of control over them! I am certain that the top wing will be well attached....and then you can attach many of those loose wires and slowly regain your sanity!

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2022, 04:57:13 AM »
So much rigging to keep control of! Line by line I know you'll get them all attached in your usual immaculate manner. It's good to see the top wing attached, you are well on your way with this one now. It's going to be a stunner.

Richie