Author Topic: Vintage model kits feature in National Air and Space Museum feature  (Read 710 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
The National Air and Space Museum in the USA has featured a fascinating article in its latest publication about the world of vintage model kit retailers.

Those of us who fondly remember the old Aurora, Revell and Monogram years can follow the exploits of vintage kit retailers such as Jeff Garrity of California's Rare-Plane Detective in the Summer issue of the Smithsonian's Air and Space Quarterly.

Here's a link to the article:

https://airandspace.si.edu/air-and-space-quarterly/summer-2022/some-assembly-required

It's a fascinating article with links to Jeff's and other vintage kit seller websites.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline PJ Fisher

Re: Vintage model kits feature in National Air and Space Museum feature
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 11:58:48 AM »
I remember staring at the dock scene with the Douglas World Cruisers whenever I would visit as a kid. Big Inspiration.

Offline gedmundson

Re: Vintage model kits feature in National Air and Space Museum feature
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2022, 12:40:35 PM »
Fascinating reading, actually. I’m not a “kit collector”, but have couple of nostalgic models in their original packaging. My brother Tony found me an Aurora Zero in its shrink wrap which I’ll never crack open, and good friends found me the Lindbergh Ju.88, and a 1/72 Airfix Stuka in its plastic bag package. Kept the first couple of model magazines I ever found at the local variety store in 1970, a Scale Modeler, and 1001 New Model Airplane Ideas. All very inspiring to a young mind. I was surprised to discover that grown men built models.
Cheers,
Gary