Author Topic: Kits-World 3D printed decals  (Read 990 times)

Offline macsporran

Kits-World 3D printed decals
« on: July 23, 2022, 06:33:48 PM »
Has anybody used these as yet?
I believe they offer seat belts etc created by printing with thicker "3D" inks on standard decal paper, but I've not had a chance to actually see them for myself.
Wonder how they look - I imagine the straps will conform well and drape over seats, but do the buckles etc 'drape' and lose shape too?
Anybody care to share their experiences?

ex: https://www.kitsworld.co.uk/index.php?GOTO=661&PICFILE=661&STKNR=661&STRH=&ORDN=&RNZ=882266&THISVIEWMODE=2&SUPPLIER=&FINDRETR=&WIDENET=&CATEGORY=9&SUB=2&VWW=1&VANCE=99

Cheers
Sandy

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Re: Kits-World 3D printed decals
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 09:58:26 AM »
I haven't used Kits-World, but can vouch for the similar Quinta Stuidos brand - these 1/48 instrument panels and belts (and trim wheel!) are 3D decals:
Ark Models 1/48 AK48049 Lavochkin La-9 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
Ark Models 1/48 AK48049 Lavochkin La-9 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
Ark Models 1/48 Lavochkin La-9 by Zac Yates, on Flickr

Offline macsporran

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 04:34:50 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Zac.
I'm intrigued by the seat belts applied to the unpainted seat. Do you intend to remove them again before painting the seat, which begs the question if they are strong enough to be taken on and off the model after detaching from the decal backing paper?
They certainly look pretty good.
Sandy

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022, 11:55:16 PM »
The choices have exploded in cockpit detailing. Colour photo etch and now 3D printing from Quinta, Kits World, Eduard and Red Fox to name a few. I have a couple of 1/48 I/P's by Quinta that look good on the sheet. My only concern is there is a bit of "print grain." I think they are ridged enough that buckles etc wont twist and flex but I suppose setting them on flat surfaces would be the only guarantee. Zac what scale are the ones you used? Not that long ago none of this would have even been conceivable so I'm sure the technology will just keep improving.

Steve

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 07:41:55 AM »
I'm intrigued by the seat belts applied to the unpainted seat. Do you intend to remove them again before painting the seat
Hi Sandy, the seat is painted. That's the finished cockpit.

Zac what scale are the ones you used?
Those are 1/48. I should note I used PVA glue (I believe it's known as Elmer's in North America?) which, from memory, was suggested on the instructions to help adhesion.

Offline Petie2nd

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 01:20:49 PM »
I'm working on a Tamiya P-38H-5 at the moment. I've just gotten to the point of starting to apply Quinta's parts; just finished placing the parts for the main switch panel that goes under the main instrument panel. I also have a Tamiya P-38F/G, which I want to convert to a P-38H-1, which requires only a few small changes. When I got the kits, there was no Quinta set for the H, so I am using the Quinta sets for the F & G, with a photoetched instrument panel. Quinta now does have a set for the H, but the only difference I can see is the instrument panel. There will be a mix of the 3D parts with a few spare PE details.

Anyway the small toggle switches are impressive. I would not have wanted to paint all of those; not sure I could have done so neatly, these days. Any instruments on various panels are well-detailed, beneath clear "glass" faces.

Just to add to what was said by others, in spite of the name, they are not really "decals" as we know of them. The first order of business is to remove the raised detail on the plastic part. If possible, the plastic should be sanded so as to account for the thickness of the 3D item. On the switch panel, I painted the plastic a semi-gloss black. Although on a sheet, they are actually a vinyl material, built up on a paper backing sheet mainly for convenience. After a short soak, the parts come off the paper easily, and should be set on a paper towel to dry. The back of the parts is white, and they are very flexible. I used a white craft glue to affix the parts. The ones I've added so far do fit the part very well, and the small details are impressive. I'm looking forward to adding the rest of the cockpit details this week.

I have purchased one set of WWI German 2-seater belts from Kits-World, but haven't had a chance to try them yet.

Pete