Author Topic: Scottish Strutter nears completion  (Read 1267 times)

Online macsporran

Scottish Strutter nears completion
« on: July 25, 2022, 06:29:20 PM »
Interesting article in my MSN news feed this morning

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/sopwith-1-1-2-strutter-lothians-volunteers-close-to-finishing-working-replica-of-first-world-war-plane/ar-AAZVcSQ?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=5330219ac20645fab27fd22f2923e801

This replica has been in construction for twenty years but is now nearing completion. It is based very near the Museum of Flight just south of Edinburgh and over the years the build has been displayed at the annual Scottish Air Show there. Last time I saw it, it was a fairly complete uncovered airframe. Looks good in the picture here.
Hopefully we'll see a Strutter in the skies soon.
Sandy

PS If you are near Edinburgh at any stage the MoF is well worth a visit with a Vulcan, a Concorde etc - as well as a piece of the fuselage of Georg Noth's Albatros D.III D796/17 in its green with yellow polka-dot colours. (As well as his seat, which was unearthed in storage there by me some years ago when I was researching Willie Fry forcing down Noth, for the Museum, long before Alex Revell 'discovered' the story)
http://wwi-models.org/Photos/Ger/Alb_DIII/index.html
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 06:39:53 PM by macsporran »

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Re: Scottish Strutter nears completion
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 05:15:58 AM »
Excellent news! As nice as it is to see replicas flying in other nations it will be wonderful for UK enthusiasts to see one in home skies!

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 11:56:07 AM »
Good timing as Roden currently has a 1/32 scale Sopwith One and a Half Strutter kit in development.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 07:15:32 AM »
Good timing as Roden currently has a 1/32 scale Sopwith One and a Half Strutter kit in development.
All we need is someone to produce a 1/32 Rotec!  ;)

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2022, 05:58:20 AM »
The Mémorial Flight in France have restored a real one -I have not seen it fly and only on static display though. I do hope they'll schedule it in the airshow eventually. It looks really striking in silver!