Author Topic: Tip: keep your Aviattic Lozenge far away from sunlight  (Read 3015 times)

Offline jeroen_R90S

Re: Tip: keep your Aviattic Lozenge far away from sunlight
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2022, 05:46:41 PM »
Hi Torbiorn,

Sorry, a bit late... as I had to check when I finished these and had a few hectic months :(

The affected Albatros and Fokker were finished a couple of years ago (2017), so it's not that the lozenge decays out after half a year or so. It is interesting that a few years older (2014 and 2015) D.VII and E.V with Techmod lozenge still look like the day they were finished, including the yellows and purples.

Unfortunately closer scrutiny of my 2020 finished 1/32 D.VII with Aviattic lozenge is starting to show the same effect of bleaching out specific colours, so I've packed that one up in a closed box before it's too late. I really need to find a better place for that one. I have ordered transparant acrylic and will see if I can make a display box to put that out of the sun.

As I wrote, all models are only partially in the sun during a specific time of the day.

Jeroen

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2022, 03:24:59 AM »
I have two 1/72 The Blue Max birds (would love a third) and a 1/48 with standard lozenge, all with Aviattic's great-looking decals and kept in boxes purely due to a lack of display space, but again I appreciate the heads-up Jeroen! Something to bear in mind when planning my displays and I'm interested to hear if a different clear coat assists in preventing this issue.

Offline WD

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2022, 03:55:32 AM »
Guys,
        Heard about this on a modeling podcast the other day. Gunze makes a UV barrier clear coat in flat, and in gloss. Reviews I've found state that it's very effective at preventing fading.

- Gunze Mr. Color UV Cut GX 112 Gloss
- Gunze Mr. Color UV Cut GX 113 Flat

HTH!

WD

Bughunter

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2022, 05:39:29 AM »
Thanks for the tip!
Some shops wrote "Not available", but found both and ordered :)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline WD

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2022, 05:56:31 AM »
Thanks for the tip!
Some shops wrote "Not available", but found both and ordered :)

Cheers,
Frank

No problem Frank!  I only recently found out about this product. Evidently, it's been out a while. I heard about it on one of the modeling podcasts I follow (another reason to listen to them). On the reviews I read, folks have been using it for outdoor model railroad rolling stock and buildings, and report no fading of colors, no yellowing of whites, so I'm pretty optimistic about this. I hope it is a help to others here.

WD

Offline Berman

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2022, 11:57:18 PM »
 It seems to be available in 18ml jars and 170ml spray cans. You would have to mix the gloss and flat to obtain a satin finish. I found one supplier that states this coating cannot be used over water based paint or decals. See disclaimer at bottom. https://www.scalehobbyist.com/manufacturers/Gunze_Mr_Hobby/Paints/mr-super-clear-uv-cut-gloss/GSI0000B522/product.php
   Perhaps another type of clear coating should be applied first as a barrier coat. Some testing needs to be done to determine if the Gunze UV cut spray will actually prevent Aviattic decals from fading.

Offline Berman

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2022, 03:58:38 AM »
   The Gunze UV clear coat is lacquer based. Krylon produces both matte and gloss clear UV resistant spray cans. The label states acrylic coating. It would require testing to see which provides better protection from fading.
   If you needed a satin finish, the gloss and matte spray cans would need to be decanted through use a straw for use in an airbrush.

Offline WD

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2022, 06:33:42 AM »
Well, all I know is someone wanted a solution to their fading problem. I offered one up that I was made aware of, and that in one review, a modeler had used it for 22 years with no fading of decals or paints. That was enough of an endorsement for me. Your mileage may vary.

WD

Offline Beto

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2022, 08:26:01 AM »
Has anybody tried anti-UV varnish on their models? There are several brands for general arts purposes, but I have found this, specifically aimed to modelers:

https://www.modelarskiswiat.pl/kategoria-produktu/werniksy/

Offline WD

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2022, 09:43:04 AM »
Excellent Beto!  It appears to be an acrylic lacquer like the Gunze product I posted previously.

WD