Author Topic: Restoring a Wing  (Read 999 times)

WarrenD

Restoring a Wing
« on: January 01, 2013, 10:04:43 AM »
OK, this falls into the categories of: "I can't leave well enough alone and have to scratch my skeeter bites 'till they bleed" and "seemed like a good idea at the time".  This is one of my builds that is in a state of destruction rather than construction. I was dissatisfied with the thick trailing edge of the 1/72nd MAC Spad C.VII, and I thinned them down from underneath thinking I'd restore the rib tapes with decal or just watercolor pencil, etc. Well, I got them thin, but I dropped the top wing, and the edge chipped badly when it hit the tile floor. Well, I'll just try to repair it, and hide it by accentuating the scalloped edge.  Yeah, right. This was definitely NOT within my skill level though. (Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?) ::)

My question is this: Can y'all think of some way I can reasonably restore this edge? If I can't do that, I may try to work on another one from another Spad C.VII kit in my stash, and see if I can cast a resin copy so this kit doesn't go to waste.

The whole upper wing.

The upper wing with one of the lower wings.

The underside.

OK, there. I'm not afraid to show everyone what an idiot I can be at the workbench.  :P

I appreciate your help and advice.

Warren

Offline Modelnut

Re: Restoring a Wing
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 11:09:26 AM »
Dig thru your spares box. Hopefully you have an ancient kit still on the runners.Locate a piece of flash. Place the wing's damaged area over the flash. Trace, glue, and sand.Viola!  I have had to this on a couple of occasions.

WarrenD

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 02:55:18 AM »
Thanks gentlemen, I'll try to put these methods to use when I get back to this build, but as you said RB, it may not be worth the effort sad to say. (I'm trying to finish an off-topic build at the moment.)

Now, on a different tack, no one can say I'm not willing to put my screw-ups out there for all to see.  :o

Warren

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 03:36:04 PM »
if it were me i would do the mods to the other wing when you get t done, dont drop it, then cast a copy in resin. but i cast my own parts in resin already. if youve never done it this could be a big headache with a huge learning curve. if you are already casting then go for it. my buddy coyote magic mentioned last year he was stumped on a wing problem with the aeroclub re8. the kit has injection molded wings with white metal inserts for the wing root openings.he wanted to attach the wings with brass rod but the white metal parts made this impossible. so i took my aeroclub re8 wings and glue the white metal parts on and cast them. now he can drill and pin the new resin wings on his aeroclub fuselage.casting is a great tool and i think all modellers should use it to enhance their builds.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 12:07:34 AM »
They're never screw ups, just knuckle balls mixed into the learning curve. Mess around with all the options provided here. If they work - something learned. If they dont - move on. Time at the workbench is a good thing.

Steve

WarrenD

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
Albatros1234, I had thought about casting a resin copy of another in order to save this kit (MAC Spads ain't cheap, at least not to me), but I've not cast any resin before. Oh well, there's got to be a first time, right?

Steve, true, it provided me with fun, and that's what counts.

Warren

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 11:35:04 AM »
resin casting is a great tool, ive been doing it only 2 years tops. but it has helped solve many problems. another for instance, building the 1/32 academy nieuport 17. some parts are just sub standard and some are missing. like the teardrop fairing under the "v" strut base under the lower wing was not there. so i took the wing from the roden 24 bis, built a clay wall around the detail on the wing and pour silicone mold material in the void. when it was dry i flipped it over and duplicate 2 of these which i glued to the bottom of my 17 wing. also the tail skid was shaped wrong and lacked detail. so i copied the assembly from the 24 and glued it to the 17. its not as hard as it would seem, actually it was easier than i thought once i jumped into it. theres many tutorials online as well as other modellers who are helpful.if you have any questions i would be glad to help. here is a nice link that shows kinda the techniques i use.

http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=469

WarrenD

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 11:51:10 AM »
Thanks, I'll take a look at it!  I've thought of building a 1/32nd Nie.17 after I get some of my 1/72nd Noops done. Thanks for the heads up on that kit.

Warren