Author Topic: Advice on how to fix Roden wing with damage in the box  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Pup7309

Advice on how to fix Roden wing with damage in the box
« on: March 23, 2022, 10:36:54 PM »
Hi
I bought this Roden 1/32 Albatros D1 online. It was the last one. On opening as well as usual sink marks etc. I noticed this. Any ideas how to fix the damage? Is it possible? Thanks! Daz ftp://

Bear with me have to work out how to upload from photos from phone…

Well to describe it - along the trailing edge are 2 semi circular chunks gouged out with about 5mm at the base. Too small for plastic card and too big for putty- agh ! What to do?!

Lack of care in moulding process and QC methinks!

Note: Here is a photo of the affected wing. (Uploaded by Dave W for Pup7309)

« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 08:08:09 AM by Dave W »
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Re: Advice on how to fix Roden wing with damage in the box
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 10:49:34 PM »
Pup

I am making that kit now and the wing trailing edges in the kit were fine. I think we need to see a photo of the issues you are facing to better understand it. If you can't upload from your phone you could email the image to me at the forum email at: [email protected]

I can then upload the image into your post.

I'm sure you would appreciate that right now the folks at Roden are in no way able to handle questions about kit issues, but show us whats wrong and someone here may be able to help you.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 11:02:52 AM »
Thanks Dave. Oh yes no disrespect to Roden intended!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2022, 01:34:40 PM »
How about start filling in the areas with small bits of plastics , build this up slowly when happy finish the top layer with putty ?

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 11:11:18 PM »
   I suggest the same solution as Alexis recommends; I've used it on a few occasions and it worked nicely.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2022, 11:15:16 PM »
Hit thanks guys I was thinking same. I’ll need to get very thin plastic as the trailing edge tapers off
I’ll give it a go and let you know how it goes :)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2022, 11:20:29 PM »
Pup

Believe it or not the very thin plastic used for KFC plastic containers (potato mash, coleslaw etc) is great as a source of thin plastic for such repairs. I cut a circular chunk from the container lid, remove the rim, wash it and then use it to fill holes etc. It takes glue and paint well.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2022, 08:02:16 AM »
I had the same thing happen with a Roden Albatros kit, and did exactly what Alexis suggested. But I also cut the defects out larger, and cemented in some thicker sprue of the same kit, then trimmed it down with a brand new Xacto blade before putty and sanding. Worked a treat.
Cheers,
Gary