Author Topic: Sopwith 'Comic' night fighter  (Read 900 times)

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
Sopwith 'Comic' night fighter
« on: March 22, 2022, 08:14:00 PM »
Hi all,
Sopwith ‘Comic’ night fighter, Serial No.B2402 of No.44 Squadron (HD), operating from Hainault Farm, Essex in 1918. Flown by Captain George Henry Hackwill.
On the night of 28th-29th of January 1918, Capt. Hackwill, flying ‘Comic’ B2402 and with Lt. Charles Chaplin Banks flying B3827, shot down Gotha GV, Serial No.938/16 at Wickford in Essex.

The full build log can be found here:

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=12822.0

As usual I've uploaded to my web site a fully detailed build log (in Adobe PDF format) that can be viewed or download. Just click the PDF icon in Gallery 3.

Thanks for everyone's support and comments - much appreciated,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Sopwith 'Comic' night fighter
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 01:14:17 PM »
Thank you for building this beauty, Mike!  She's truly magnificent. If you read my profile, you know that the Camel Comic is my favorite aircraft and this is the finest example I've seen to date.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 09:44:17 PM »
Don't know why there's not more comments about this build.  I think it's a great conversion build with a lot of detail specific to the Comic.  Excellent job.

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 12:37:12 AM »
I missed this one somehow...

I can only agree with Bud and Ken. This is a great conversion Mike. Beautiful work on the redesign of the fuselage and the cockpit.

The diorama looks fantastic!

Willem

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 03:20:33 AM »
Don't know why there's not more comments about this build.
There are more in the Completed Models thread, Ken: https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=12925.0

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 09:57:50 AM »
Outstanding work Mike and a brilliant model as the "Comic" night fighter is my favourite version of the Camel.

Many thanks for sharing this gem with us as it's a real motivator for folk like me to do better.

Fingers crossed someone will produce this in 1/32 scale soon and in 1/48 I'm hanging out for the forthcoming Eduard version.

In the meantime I've bookmarked your build as a reference source for later.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com