Author Topic: Dreidecker zur See!  (Read 7709 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Re: Dreidecker zur See!
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2022, 03:00:29 AM »
Brad, excellent work on the cowling - looks just like a bought one! - and the whole configuration is just perfect. I love this so, so much!!

Bughunter

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2022, 04:37:13 AM »
You solved the tricky cowling problem perfectly!

That will be a very interesting model in your collection :D

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2022, 08:31:51 AM »
I Must Repeat, I LOve this One Brad! Looking awesome!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2022, 12:57:49 PM »
Oh my !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online jamieg

Re: Dreidecker zur see!
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2022, 05:36:50 AM »
I think the shorter struts still look too long, but I also think Przemol is right - technical considerations would dictate the length.  I would consider the length of the prop.  Also, if the struts are tall, the plane would be inclined to flip over when the throttle was opened.  This could be offset by moving the struts forward, but this also has a limit as it effects the center of gravity.  Sorry if I am over thinking this, but I'm an engineer.   :)

I think the point about tipping is valid. We know that the height versus width of the Dr. 1 caused lateral tippiness on the ground, hence the wingtip skids, so I would think that the fuselage would have been kept as close to the water as practicable.

Jamie

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2022, 05:54:45 AM »
Only just found this - what an interesting idea! I too am overly fond of floatplanes so this one is a winner for me.

A very interesting discussion of the engineering issues too - by engineers - so very informative for one who's mathematical skills stop at 2 x 2!

Stephen.

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2022, 05:56:27 PM »
Thanks all! :)

Only minor progress; but the Small Stuff Oberursal U.III is now done.

This was a kit in and of itself - I counted 86 parts in total - one part for the crank case, one part for the central shaft, then six parts for each cylinder (cylinder, pushrod, pushrod sleeve, valve rocker arm, spark plug, spark plug wire)... times 14!... phew! Needless to say both my old eyes and the magnifying visor got a workout... but it is a mighty fine job that Small Stuff have done in producing such a fine resin engine.

Now I can move onto the next step - the interior.

Cheers!

BC 

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2022, 06:19:11 PM »
Great job on this tiny jewel. It will add a lot to the model, no doubt about it.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2022, 03:18:48 AM »
Only minor progress [...] I counted 86 parts in total
:o :o It looks utterly beautiful Brad, congratulations! I'm not sure if I said it already but this build has me very excited. A fascinating concept that looks right, with a gorgeous piece of whirling metal up front. What's not to love?

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2022, 07:55:14 AM »
Lovely Engine Brad!

These small stuff engines are really worth the investment!

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2022, 08:08:10 AM »
Stunning work on the engine Brad!
RAGIII

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2022, 05:41:02 PM »
Hi folks - very slow progress on this one, mainly due to work and other commitments.

This one was also slowed down slightly by the fact that I figured I might as well build a second Triplane while I was at it! Hehe!  ;D This one will be more of a 'straight up' build, without any make-believery.

I haven't built a 'vanilla' Dr.1 in 1/48 since building the old DML kit back in the mid 90s as a teenager (and very fond memories I still have of it too). None the less, I have quite a few Eduard tripes in the stash that have spent years waiting to be built, so I figured I might as well do a dual build.

The Eduard cockpit is quite nice out of the box. Accordingly, all I added was the hand pump on the right side of the cockpit, some throttle and gun cables to the control column, and some wires here and there. I omitted the kit gun cables (these looked odd) and the bosch starter on the left cockpit wall was also left off; I don't believe these were carried on triplanes. Here are some pics of the cockpit:

For the 'vanilla' triplane, I built the engine out of box (I didn't need nor want another 86-piece engine build...!  :o :o)  It's basic but it'll do:

I also had a go at painting some props:

That will be the last update for a little while; I am moving house in a couple of weeks and the nerd cave will be packed up and re-set up in the new digs.

As always, feedback is welcomed.

Cheers!

BC

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2022, 06:37:59 PM »
Fantastic interiors and engines. I love that wash, so well restrained in this scale.
Good luck with the house change and do not let us wait too long for the continuation
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2022, 04:42:22 AM »
As always your engines, interiors, wood grain etc. are all superb Brad! Did you say these are 1/24th  ;D
RAGIII

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2022, 06:07:52 AM »
Hi Brad
The engine for the W-DR.1 looks great but it will be a shame to bury most of it in the cowling. On researching the Pfalz monoplane with the same engine some aircraft had extra holes drilled into the side due to overheating. Just a thought but to show a little more of your handy work have you considered this modification on your one?
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!