Author Topic: Foul play...  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Monty

Foul play...
« on: January 03, 2022, 05:49:55 AM »
I had this invading my modelling den today... A Tarentaal or Guinea Fowl, a wild bird but endemic and invading urban areas here in the Southern tip of Africa... Yes, they don't understand much and are a nuisance and even attack... long story... it wandered and flew through the house, got to my secluded den, left deposit on desk and messed lots up... Vanessa said to get rid of it, I switched the lights off and went to find a light for the braai (barbecue)... it eventually found it's own way out....

I cannot say life is dull....
Marc

Offline Dirigible-Al

Re: Foul play...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 06:13:47 AM »
I have to say how often I am appauled by the animal kingdoms lack of understanding and respect to WW1 modelling. I have a Lurcher who has on a couple of occasions shown the same disregard. However unlike your visitor I am thankful my Lurcher has never left her calling card on the desk.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 09:12:51 AM »
Can say I don't think we have those birds here in Canada . Haven't had wild life , but does a cat count ???

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 11:22:06 AM »
   Sorry Marc, but admittedly rolling on the floor laughing! As Alexis points out, we don't have Guinea Fowls here in Canada however we do have a close relative, the dreaded Ruffed Grouse or it's smaller cousin, the Spruce Grouse. We call them "Chickens" or "Fool's Hens". I've never had one infiltrate all the way into our home however on two occasions had to replace a double pane window due to their hair brained attempts to fly through the glass, just a spectacular scene! They provide a new meaning to the term "Birdbrain"!
   Count yourself lucky, a small present dropped on your bench beats a glass replacement at $4-500  twice in 5 years, and think of the memories .......... ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 08:54:24 PM »
Some days to late to end up as Chistmas dinner ;)
Thanks for showing us the bird and your bench.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline macsporran

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 09:10:54 PM »
Same problem here with the wild Haggis. They get in through the most surprisingly tight apertures and of course, if it's out of season, you can't shoot them!
Perfectly evolved for their natural habitat, Haggis have one leg longer than the other so they can race around the slopes of Scottish hills, but this means they make a real mess as they hirple around a modeller's workshop room.

A Guid New Year fae Caledonia!
Sandy

Offline WD

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 12:44:01 AM »
Well, we do have them here in the U.S., but they are the domesticated version, not that you can domesticate them much. I can't stand the things, but many folks do like them around the farm as a very good watch dog, and they do eat a ton of ticks.

WE keep heritage breed chickens instead.  :)

WD

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2022, 05:48:10 PM »
Looks like you'll need to use some of those winged things on the modelling bench to provide roving protection patrols of the modelling den. Backs to the wall, chaps!

BC